Uni

BBAUER

Hi,

Can someone please assist. We are in the process of immigrating but I have a concern because my daughter is studying 2nd year Interior Design course I would like to know if any Uni in Melbourne offers this course and what would the process be to transfer.

It's probably best to contact the University of Melbourne directly as any advice on here about transferring will be second hand info.

Remember to budget for onshore uni fees of about $8,000 a year as only citizens can access the deferred student fee scheme (study now - pay later).

1 hour ago, BBAUER said:

Hi,

Can someone please assist. We are in the process of immigrating but I have a concern because my daughter is studying 2nd year Interior Design course I would like to know if any Uni in Melbourne offers this course and what would the process be to transfer.

Is she currently enrolled in a University Course? There are MANY ways to study interior design in Australia outside of University (I'm a qualified Interior Designer), many go to TAFE as well as Private Institutions. You can do as little as a Certificate IV in Interior Decoration, an Associate Degree in Interior Decoration and Design or branch out further to a Bachelors Degree in Design and then major in a stream Architecture, Construction or Property.

The field is HUGE, it all depends where she wants to end up. Often when people think of Interior Design they are actually referring to Interior Styling. An Interior Designer has to do things like working with contractors on things like electric points, designing physical structures, draft plans, renders etc. An Interior Stylist is someone who comes in at the end and does things like choose colours, room appointments, decor, textiles etc.

Stylists often move into Property Staging, getting a space ready for sale, or styling empty homes for rental listings etc or move into retail working as Visual Merchandisers, so designing store layouts/displays.

Cheers

Matt

Hi

Matt thank you for responding. Yes she is currently enrolled at a university doing her 2nd year she matriculated in Dec 2014. Is it possible for you to give me your email adress so we can chat about what options she will have as she is our main concern at the moment because she would be doing her 3rd year next year and getting her Diploma but if we move next year then this is a problem as far as we see it because we don't know how things work that side.

22 hours ago, BBAUER said:

Hi

Matt thank you for responding. Yes she is currently enrolled at a university doing her 2nd year she matriculated in Dec 2014. Is it possible for you to give me your email adress so we can chat about what options she will have as she is our main concern at the moment because she would be doing her 3rd year next year and getting her Diploma but if we move next year then this is a problem as far as we see it because we don't know how things work that side.

@BBAUER,

I'm afraid on an educational level I'd not be much help as I qualified in South Africa and brought my skills over with me. You would, as @RYLC pointed out, need to speak to a tertiary institution about whether or not her grades would be transferable.

I'm sure you're anxious to get over here, but it seems she's almost 2/3rds of the way through her course and it might be better, and certainly cheaper to complete her course in South Africa.

The only issue as I shared is where she might want to end up and if the course she did will be recognized here for the level/stream of design she wants to practice in Australia. Which is why I asked the questions above.

Here in Australia most accredited courses are accredited by the Design Institute of Australia, you can see which tertiary institutions are accredited here. Again this field is SO wide, some don't even have formal qualifications as there is nothing stopping you selling your services as stylist, visual merchandiser or opening your own retail store, but I doubt any firm would take you on if you didn't study to an accredited level and have a minimum of a BA of Design.

Cheers

Matt

Thanks for advise Matt but its a catch 22 situation if we stick around longer our age will be against us as the parents and also the job offer might not knock on the door again. As much as we would have loved for her to finish her studies time is against us and we also not prepared to leave her behind we will never be happy as a family there.