Is it too late?

zamunda

Question

Hi everyone

A friend of ours back in RSA wanted to start the migration process some years back, but due to a number of family commitments he had to put it off. Ideally he should have applied,  got the PR, then at least he would have had five years to wait. But unfortunately finances was his biggest issue.

He now wants to start the process, but in two months time he is turning 45 which is the cut off age. He had contacted an immigration agent in SA and the advice he had received was quite discouraging. He had been told that his chances are very slim due to the age and there is not much he can get done in the next two months. He has done his english test and got the required pass rate, but not submitted for the qualification assessment yet.

He is feeling quite down because of the advice he has received and is thinking of giving up on the whole thing.

I am not very conversant with the current regulations. Is there any other route he can take even if age becomes a problem?

9 answers to this question

My 2c, it is never too late. There are always options.

According to the website the cutoff for the PR visas is 50, however the years between 45-50 receive no points for age. I am not an agent but I feel that depending on your friends circumstances and qualifications he might get enough points to apply without any age points. Alternatively there are the non-PR visas such as the 457. If your friend finds a job from a company who wants to sponsor him then he could be in Australia within months. There are a lot of factors to consider and I would recommend contacting one of the recommended agents on the forum like maybe @SD_MOA 

Life may be difficult, but not all of it is impossible. Good luck for your friend.

• Like 1

Hi @zamunda :) 

Im no expert but i also agree with JonathanR that its never too late.

Many people have started this journey at that age but i suggest you get a second opinion as its all points based and there may still be a way.

Perhaps try Reuven from Migrate2oz as he was very helpful with our application even though we did it on our own he still gave us great advice ;) 

All the best helping your friend.

Hi Zamunda,

If your friend is over 45 but less than 50 he may still be able to secure a GSM visa - most likely a SC489 temporary state sponsored visa.  Of course this will depend on his qualifications, work experience and English.  Please ask him to email me a copy of his CV to review.

Regards

8 hours ago, SD_MOA said:

Hi Zamunda,

If your friend is over 45 but less than 50 he may still be able to secure a GSM visa - most likely a SC489 temporary state sponsored visa.  Of course this will depend on his qualifications, work experience and English.  Please ask him to email me a copy of his CV to review.

Regards

Hi Stephan

Thanks so much.

I will ask him to get in touch with you.

Regards

Hi Zamunda,

Tell your friend to cheer up and start the process, Stephen is spot on and I am sure can give more advice and guidance.

I also started the process late and got my cs489 visa in July this year at the tender age of 46, I turned 47 a month ago in August. The process you go through is pretty much the same as the 189 visa, but he will need regional state sponsorship which gives another 10 points due to the fact that he gets no age points . The trick is to get Superior English results for the IELTS Test which gives 20 visa points. Qualification (if equivalent to a bachelors degree) gives a further 15 points and experience (8 years of the last 10 years) can give a futher 15 points = total 60 points. I also got 0 points for age. In a nutshell he gets no points for age but needs the highest points for the other catagories. With this visa you need to live in a regional (low population) area for at least 2 years and work for at least 1 year in the regional area before full PR can be granted. Your friend is not talking to the right agent, either that or there is a concern over English results, qualifications, etc.

There is obviously the 457 route as mentioned above.

IT IS NOT TOO LATE.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TakeItOnTheChin said:

Hi Zamunda,

Tell your friend to cheer up and start the process, Stephen is spot on and I am sure can give more advice and guidance.

I also started the process late and got my cs489 visa in July this year at the tender age of 46, I turned 47 a month ago in August. The process you go through is pretty much the same as the 189 visa, but he will need regional state sponsorship which gives another 10 points due to the fact that he gets no age points . The trick is to get Superior English results for the IELTS Test which gives 20 visa points. Qualification (if equivalent to a bachelors degree) gives a further 15 points and experience (8 years of the last 10 years) can give a futher 15 points = total 60 points. I also got 0 points for age. In a nutshell he gets no points for age but needs the highest points for the other catagories. With this visa you need to live in a regional (low population) area for at least 2 years and work for at least 1 year in the regional area before full PR can be granted. Your friend is not talking to the right agent, either that or there is a concern over English results, qualifications, etc.

There is obviously the 457 route as mentioned above.

IT IS NOT TOO LATE.

Thanks. I got my friend to contact Stephen and all seems on track.

• Like 1

Agreed - never too late

Applied when I was 49 and did exactly as TakeItOnTheChin said - 60 points on the nose. State sponsored South Australia -489 visa.

I have three months to go for the two year regional residency requirements to be fulfilled, and then it's 887 time!

The process just takes a bit of grit but I'm proof that it can be done, and two years goes by in a blink.

• Like 5

Shaugn can I ask how long you have to activate the 489 visa?  Thanks!

One year from date of visa grant (probably the same for most other migration visa's)

In our case it was plenty of time to get over and activate (quick holiday).

I flew back to Australia permanently two months afterward to start job hunting, got a job and never looked back. As you can see below, I will be applying for the 887 (to get permanent residency) now in March.