Applying for partner visa whilst both still in SA - has anyone had issues with the 'usually resident requirement' of the sponsor?

HermanLJ

Hi, I obtained my PR 189 a while back and in that time I have met my partner and gotten married. I would now like to add her to my visa via the subclass 309 visa.

I see that on the form 40SP (to be completed by the sponsor ie me), there is a clause saying "If you are an Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, you are required to be usually resident in Australia". However further on in the form 40SP under residential address it says the following: "Note: If your residential address is not in Australia, please attach a statement at the end of this form outlining how you will meet your sponsorship obligations. See Question 52 Undertaking".

My question is: has anyone had any issues applying for the 309 visa whilst both applicant and sponsor still live in South Africa?