Family sponsorship

Pippa

Hi all,

My husband and I are planning to apply for a skilled migration visa (136) early 2007. Unfortunately, my husband needs to be admitted as an attorney in Australia before we can proceed with our skilled migration application. He is busy with his exams at the moment, but will only finish at the end of this year (if all goes well!).

I am just looking at some other options and I therefore need your advice. My 55-year-old father has a cousin that lives in Australia - the only and closest family member in Australia to our knowledge. I’ve read somewhere that one can sponsor family as far as niece, nephews, and cousins…? Is this correct and what is the criteria? My father (55 years old) is an SC Advocate at the Pretoria Bar. My mother (56 years old) used to be a schoolteacher who developed into a 'stay-at-home' supermom after my sister and I went to school. Both of them are exceptionally energetic, vibrant and positive people - they look more like 40-somethings than 50-somethings. Anyway, is there a possibility for my father’s cousin to sponsor him or is my father too old?

Should my father’s cousin be able to sponsor my father, what are the conditions for my father then to sponsor my sister, husband and I?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Enjoy the rest of you weekend!

Pippa

Hi Pippa

Since meeting you and you delightful family I have though about you and specifically the migration of your parents.

Although I am not sure I dont think your Dad will be able to be sponsored by the cousin - his age being the deterrent.

My thoughts are : I have no doubt that your husband and yourself will qualify under the skilled migration visa.

As soon as you have landed apply to sponsor your parents under the Contributory Parental Visa.Now the problem here will be that to be able to sponsor a person one needs to provide two years of tax returns in which it is obvious to DIMIA that you earn a salary of more than $40 000. As it is only your sister and yourself ,with only one of their children in OZZ you will fullfill the balance of family criteria.

So - without dashing any hopes maybe this is your timeline.

Pippa migrates to Oz 2007. Work for two years in which time your parents visit you once a year for three months at a time. In this time let them start establishing themselves let say with the purchase of property that is FIRB exempt.

Apply for the Contributory Parental Visa in 2009.And have your parents there with you before your Dad turns 60.

I dont think this is what you want to hear but I just cannot think of another way around. There is also the Retirement Investment Visa Subclass 405. My neighbour who is 60+ migrated with this visa 6 years ago.It has worked will for him but obviously he does not have any of the benfits such as Medicare etc. My Mother in law who is on the Contributory Parental Visa has Medicare.

Hope this helps

One or two States . . . . South Australia being one of them . . . allows State sponsored business migrants up to the age of 55, but after a person turns 55, he / she is deemed too old.

A retirement visa is on a rolling four year period, I believe, so they have to be renewed every four years with no guarantee of being granted another four years. Medical insurance and welfare is at the expense of the retiree.

A "family re-union" visa is one option, because you give an undertaking to look after your oldies for at least ten years, after which they're entitled to all the benefits that Aussies get other than an Old Age Pension. However, you have to check on all this and I believe your brothers and / or sisters must have left South Africa, leaving your parents without anyone to look after them, and the bulk of your brothers and / or sisters have to live in Australia.

If I were to sponsor my parents, this would be my option, because they stay forever and can access benefits in due course, unlike the Retirement visa.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replies! As you know, we would like to start with our lives in Oz asap, but are willing to wait!

I just thought that it might be quicker through my father’s cousin, but I suspected that my father passed his sell by date!!! Unfortunately my father turned 55 in January and will therefore not even qualify for state sponsored migration to South Australia

My parents and sister are visiting Australia in July and they will most definitely explore all possibilities.

Have a great day!

Pippa