Packing

MelanieMas

Any thoughts on what to pack in the container and what not too , so indecisive !! Beds , couches , dining room tables , Crockery , washing machines , pc's , kids toys ??

It's such a personal decision.  Most people base it on the size of container they can afford and then go from there with a process of elimination.

Having said that though, many people also sell up everything and start from scratch in Oz.  It's really up to you.

Perhaps some recent arrivals can advise? @RedPanda

Depends what your tactic is going in. Our container took 6 weeks from packing to arrival. We had to buy a fridge and washing machine and mattresses here in Oz, plates, pots, all the basics to live with. We camped out in the rental. If you rent a furnished place while you wait bring everything. We made a list of what we would need before the container came and didn't pack those items we had to buy. Then I didn't pack anything that I didn't LOVE LOVE LOVE or really need. We sold/gave away half of our belongings and we are perfectly happy with much less in our lives! The kids were more seetled when their bedroom stuff and toys arrived, so if you have kids it might be worth keeping them happy to help them settle in faster by bringing their bedroom decor/toys etc.

It really does depend on what you want to take with, how much it'll cost to replace as well as its condition. That's assuming you're already going for a crate or cube.

I did a very rough costing exercise in several items by looking to compare a total replacement cost in Oz versus the effective shipping cost for some items.

It's not as clear cut to do such a costing as you'd think as there is some jusgement but research helps. For example I found that the replacement cost in Oz of a comparable good dining room table and chairs set to what we have was high but a good second hand couch on the other hand seemed cheap. The former will come with us but the latter won't.

Our washing machine itself is meantime still relatively new but our bed is really old and we'd have already replaced it if we were staying in SA. The former will be going into the crate but the latter will be given away as we'll likely just buy a newer and nicer bed once in Oz.

That's besides the matter of whether you intend to initially rent furnished accommodation when you land or send the crate off early as mentioned above by @Mel-B

Also, are you necessarily going to be able to fit what you take with into Oz accommodation or rooms? 

• Like 1

Just a couple of other things to think about. WE recently moved to Melbourne and brought very little with us from JHB.

In hindsight buying everything new can be quite expensive but it is a lot safer. We have found that the places here are a fair amount smaller. Out 8 seater dining room table would not fit into our current place for example. Also our washing machine and fridge would have been the wrong size. Different units have different size spaces for these items. If we had shipped these here we would have need up paying for them to get here and had to buy new items any way.

We found that electronics are fairly expensive so really regretted not brining our TV though. Also living for a while with no furniture can be difficult.

Good luck!

• Like 1

If you are going to be using a 20ft container then bring your stuff, you might as well. But take into consideration the size etc as mentioned. We have been here for nearly a year and we are still yet to bring our container over. We have new beds in our old apartment back in SA and our leather lounge set that my husband does not want to sell. Also our dining table and toys for our son. I have also bought lots of bedding, Linen and clothes. Clothes are quite expensive here. Not so much for kids but adult clothes are a bit pricey. I will probably buy more clothes from Woolworths online before we send our container in December.

Good luck packing?

Certainly fridges can be a problem, the Aussie spaces for the fridge tend to be lower than RSA. And many rentals come with a dishwasher. It's a tough one. It really depends on your 'Landing Strategy' and what kind of items you have. Our decision was easy, since we knew where we wanted to rent (suburb), has scoped out the houses, and knew what kind of space we would able to get. Then, knowing that we had inherited furniture (on request, because we really, really liked it, not a family hand down) we knew we'd get a container. So once that was settled, we just filled the container with sensible things. We chucked out all of the 'fitterjasies', all old clothing, so much garage and kitchen and household items (all of them kinda 'meh' stuff), and we just kept the things we really wanted. Our mentality was: would you buy this back, if it was taken away and held ransom? If the answer was no, it didn't go.

But it's a tough choice. You have to have a strategy, otherwise you'll just regret things, either way.

Thanks all , over the years you collect so much stuff we going to have so much to get rid of.

To start the place will be quite small and our 8 seater dining table and 2 x 3 seater couches I doubt will fit ! 

They good quality which won't be easily replaced that side especially with the cost of buying new there.

12 hours ago, MelanieMas said:

They good quality which won't be easily replaced that side especially with the cost of buying new there.

Gumtree is amazing in Australia. We recently bought two couches second hand, leather, good quality, at about 1/5 the new price. Once I realised that our own furniture is also 'used', it wasn't too bad to buy furniture that had been 'used' by someone else...same thing really, if you can see the condition at inspection. (I personally wouldn't want to buy fabric furniture second hand, maybe that's just me?) And gumtree is safe and reliable. Of course you need to check what you are buying, but there is not the fear of a scam associated with it that there is in RSA.

• Like 1