Can I take snacks/food on my Qantas flight for my small kids?

Skapie

Hi Everyone,

Please help me regarding a packed snack box for my kids for the flight to Sydney.

What can I and what can't I include typically?

Stressed about my small kids flying!

As far as I know you should be able to take anything on the flight, but arriving in Aus you can not take anything off the plane once you land in Sydney...

Actually watching Border Security Australia as we speak.  You can take it with as long as you declare it.  They will advise whether you can take it into the country or not.  

People pick up problems when they don't declare or when they try to conceal stuff.

• Like 2

We flew out on 18th August to Sydney on Qantas. The OR Tambo aurport security allowed us to take about a litre of milk through, as long as it was in the kids' drinking bottles. (And we got to use the Assisted Passengers Lanes because of the kids). You can then bring as much snacks as you need for the flight. The flight attendants told us we just need to declare whatever was left over, like @ChrisH says. We ended up throwing stuff into the bins at Sydney Airport, because we couldn't be bothered declaring. Even sealed yoghurts need to be declared. 

One other thing is when travelling between states you still have to declare fruit and any veggies. Travelling from Sydney,NSW to Brisbane, QLD we had to declare the oranges we bought at Sydney, or throw them in the bins at the airport. In this instance though, nobody checks!

• Like 1

Thank you PhatMyles.  I think an interesting snack box with lovely goodies will certainly help to keep the kids occupied for 5 seconds, if nothing else.  I'll just not go overboard with my selection, and throw away what they didn't eat, just to make things easier.  

You can pack whatever you like.  Dispose or declare what's left over when you enter Australia.  (There is plenty opportunity with bins & signs placed everywhere).  Chuck out the fruit and obvious prohibited items and declare the rest.  It's when you DON'T declare, when you'll have issues.  

3 hours ago, Skapie said:

Thank you PhatMyles.  I think an interesting snack box with lovely goodies will certainly help to keep the kids occupied for 5 seconds, if nothing else.  I'll just not go overboard with my selection, and throw away what they didn't eat, just to make things easier.  

Skapie check out the sticky thread Flying with kids. There are lots of great information and advise there for flying with little ones. ?

definitely book kiddy meals with your agent or with the airline before travel (minimum 4 days before)  The kids meals are great- hotdog, chicken nuggets, cheese sandwich etc and a chockie and biscuits.  The adult meals will not be eaten by any child I know!!   My kids still try and get me to book child meals for them now but they are too old 15 and 17 lol!!

• Like 2

In my humble opinion (and I have asked many Mothers/friends about this), I can not understand why kids airline meals try to be so clever and always falls short of the mark.  Kids will only be in the air for a very short time of their lives, there is no need to start ticking all the food group boxes in one meal. (Is it a aviation food requirement I wonder?)  If my kids eat on a plane a couple of times a year and every single time its a pasta dish (ravioli?) with a tasty home made tomato sauce and maybe some cheese on the top, I would be ecstatic. Maybe a pot of yogurt for desert? Happy days.  Call us freaks, but my kids have never eaten a chicken nugget or a red polony type sausage, and long may it last.  By the time the meal gets to us, the steam has made the whole thing soggy, the mash is hard, the peas roll down the aisle, only eat my cheese/crackers, they grab their giant chocolate brownies and then run laps around the cabin.  Rather give them a pasta meal that most kids eat and if they get drowsy, bonus.   

• Like 2

I agree about the kids meals but would prefer that they just ask you to list what you would like.  So fruit, yoghurt, cheese, crackers, sandwich etc that parents can pick from beforehand.   It is difficult for the airlines though because the pasta dish you would be ecstatic with would make my kids sick :(

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your advice.  I guess I'm just really nervous about the flight. My husband flies airplanes in his spare time, so they're used to flying.  They're just not so keen on sitting still. My little one just started walking, and my  three year old is the busiest three year old I know.  And we're flying to Brisbane...

I've bought them each a division tipe box with a lid, the type that can be used as a toolbox too, and plan on cramming it with all kinds of things, not containing sugar. They'll think it's Christmas. If they're peckish, they can nibble away.  

SandraDee, thank you for the advice.  I've made sure the kids meals are booked, excited to see what turns up.  

Emmayenkanna, I've read the flying with kids thread previously, but will read it again.  I remember now they said something about something you should take that helps with the jet lag.  Which is another worry.  

I'm sure I'll laugh about all this as we're sitting on the beach having ice cream and enjoying our holiday, but I'm a "rather safe than sorry" tipe of girl.