IELTS Academic vs General

GonzoTho

I need to book an IELTS test. Is the academic version acceptable for use in the PR visa application? It seems I would have to do the academic version in any case in order to gain entrance to university. Do I need to do the general one as well for the visa application or can I just go for the academic version and use the results of that?

i am sure you can go with the Academic one. they don't prescribe which one to use as long as its an IELTS exam. My husband wrote the General one and i wrote both but used the academic one for our visa application.

all the best.

1 minute ago, Theshi said:

i am sure you can go with the Academic one. they don't prescribe which one to use as long as its an IELTS exam. My husband wrote the General one and i wrote both but used the academic one for our visa application.

all the best.

Did you score better on the academic one than the general one?

Yes i did, i had an average of 7.5 on the General one and i scored an 8 for the academic one.

Please check this very very carefully. 3 years ago I had to write the academic for my skills assessment, but only the general would be accepted for the PR application. At the time it was a common problem with candidates taking the wrong IELTS for the application.

Don't think it matters at all which one you do as long as you have an average score above 6 for the PR application. My wife had to do the academic for the skills assessment and it was acceptable fot the visa. The only reason she resat the general was to gain a higher score for more points on the EOI.

As far as the DIBP visa application process is concerned they will accept either the General or the Academic IELTS (plus there are the other English tests now).  However, if you are using the English test for skills assessments / University entrance those authorities may have different requirements.

Most people find the General IELTS test easier than the Academic. However, this is not across the board as per Theshi's post.  

The listening and speaking sections are the same.  The other two sections are different - the Academic may have tables/charts to describe as opposed to solely text.   For people used to working with charts / graphs etc this may be preferred.

11 hours ago, TeeTMI said:

As far as the DIBP visa application process is concerned they will accept either the General or the Academic IELTS (plus there are the other English tests now).  However, if you are using the English test for skills assessments / University entrance those authorities may have different requirements.

Most people find the General IELTS test easier than the Academic. However, this is not across the board as per Theshi's post.  

The listening and speaking sections are the same.  The other two sections are different - the Academic may have tables/charts to describe as opposed to solely text.   For people used to working with charts / graphs etc this may be preferred.

Thanks. I have looked at some sample questions and think that I may find the academic version easier in anyway. I have no problems reading/interpreting charts/graphs and will have to take that test anyway, so in the interest of saving time and money I'll probably only book the academic one then.

• Like 1