From 457 to 186 - Options

Duggen

Hi all,

I am currently in Aus on a 457 visa which is great! Unfortunately my profession is particularly prone to retrenching people and as such I would like to get my PR sorted asap.

After doing a fair amount of reading on the Australia visa website, I am still slightly unsure of a couple of things. Currently there are three streams to the 186 visa, namely:

• The Temporary Residence Transition stream
    • This requires you to work for you employer for two years and your employer to sponsor you for PR. This may be an option in the future.
  • The Direct Entry stream
    • people who have been nominated by their employer under the Direct Entry stream - does not apply to me

• people who have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia - does not apply to me

• temporary residents who do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream - this is what my question relates to

• The Agreement stream
    • This option does not apply to me

So highlighted in red is the point that has got me slightly confused. Would this mean that if I meet the below requirements I would be able to apply directly for PR:

• Currently on a 457
  • Skill on CSOL list
  • Positive skills assessment
  • More than 60 points on the points test

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Paul

Edited by Duggen

Hi Paul

You are slightly confusing the employer sponsored and skilled independent visas below.

1 hour ago, Duggen said:

So highlighted in red is the point that has got me slightly confused. Would this mean that if I meet the below requirements I would be able to apply directly for PR:

• Currently on a 457
  • Skill on CSOL list
  • Positive skills assessment
  • More than 60 points on the points test

Assuming eligible you can apply for a Direct Stream employer sponsored visa (you would generally need a positive skills assessment and appropriate work experience) you do not need points.

Alternatively if you are eligible to apply for a skilled independent visa (this requires the 60 points and skills assessment) you could also look at that.  If your occupation is on the CSOL it will depend upon whether you are able to obtain state sponsorship.

I have a bit of an overview on my web site http://www.taylormadeimmigration.com/457toPR

I wish more people looked at getting PR whilst on a 457 it is a risk if as you say your industry is prone to retrenching occasionally.  It is awful when people contact me in those circumstances.

9 minutes ago, TeeTMI said:

Hi Paul

You are slightly confusing the employer sponsored and skilled independent visas below.

Assuming eligible you can apply for a Direct Stream employer sponsored visa (you would generally need a positive skills assessment and appropriate work experience) you do not need points.

Alternatively if you are eligible to apply for a skilled independent visa (this requires the 60 points and skills assessment) you could also look at that.  If your occupation is on the CSOL it will depend upon whether you are able to obtain state sponsorship.

I have a bit of an overview on my web site http://www.taylormadeimmigration.com/457toPR

I wish more people looked at getting PR whilst on a 457 it is a risk if as you say your industry is prone to retrenching occasionally.  It is awful when people contact me in those circumstances.

Thank you very much for that response.

So without getting sponsorship from my employer for PR (they have already sponsored my 457), there is no way to apply for the 186 visa? Do you know what "temporary residents who do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition" stream under the direct entry stream refers to? 

Unfortunately, my current skill is only on the CSOL and it wold seem that Victoria (I am currently in Melbourne) would not sponsor for this skill.

Edited by Duggen

Hello Duggen,

In order to apply for a SC186 visa under ANY stream you MUST have sponsorship from an Australian employer.

The "temporary residents who do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition" stream under the direct entry stream refers to anyone in Australia on a valid temporary visa that does not meet the requirements for the Temporary Residence Transition stream and have been nominated by their employer under the Direct Entry stream (and meets all of the other requirements).

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Regards

Great thank you for clarifying that.

Will have to work on a different strategy in that case.