Cancelling Vodacom

Tntaglia

We are very early in our journey to Oz but based on a job offer from my current company to work in Sydney things may go quite quickly once things get going. So I'm not sure of our timeframe, probably anything between 4 months and more than a year if I understand correctly.

I have a Vodacom contract that has already expired, I've been up for renewal for a few months. But if I renew now, there will be exit clauses and things coming in to play and probably a hefty penalty. Has anyone here had to cancel a cellphone contract in SA before the end of it? What was your experience like?

I found some info online that says Vodacom has terrible cancellation penalties, 75% of the entire rest of the contract cost while the other providers have better deals when you cancel. So I also have the option to port to another provider if the penalty clauses will be better, or I can just buy a new phone now, go on with the month to month with Vodacom and get a sim only when I get to Australia. My old phone is packing up rapidly, I was hoping to just keep using it until we arrive in Oz but now I don't know if that will be an option.

I cancelled my Vodacom contract earlier this year about 3 months before it should have ended. Contact them and ask for a cancellation quote, this will include outstanding handset payments and contract fees.  It actually wasn't bad.

• Like 1

Panda's Opinion: I would consider buying a handset outright and just going over on the month to month with Vodacom, since the handset purchase through contract option has never been that appealing for us. (I think we did the math and found it more expensive. It might have changed?)

Once you have a handset it's yours, so you might as well bring it over and just pop in a new sim from the new Service Provider. Our handsets always outlast the contracts anyway.

• Like 1

I agree with Redpanda. If your contract is ending, and you thinking you will move within a year, then I would suggest you rather steer clear of a contract and go pay as you go. Saves the hassle of canceling and cancellation fees. I went this route and am amazed by how much I save each month by just using my old handset and buying airtime when I need it.

• Like 1

We were in much the same boat, but did not need a new handset. I cancelled our contract and we ported my number to me and you mobile. Meandyoumobile.co.za way cheaper than vodacom and month to month. Otherwise afrihost also offer great month to month packages. 

Lisa 

• Like 1