Kids outside - safety question

Tntaglia

Hi all

This is a really ignorant question from a newbie still very much rooted in a SA mindset, so please forgive me if the answer should be obvious. 

We're likely moving to Sydney some time in the next however-long-the-process-takes, and trying to get our minds around the difference in lifestyle. At the moment we're in Joburg living in typical suburbia, big house, big yard, swimming pool, unused tennis court etc. Two young girls (aged 6 and 9). If we make the move, I will be working in the CBD very close to the Opera House and I'm really not keen on a super long commute, but very happy to use public transport. So we're considering finding a smallish place closer to work rather than a place with a yard etc further out, since from what I've read there are many parks and outdoor spaces that are free and safe to use.

So my question is: would it be possible for my kids to visit a park on their own? Honestly I struggle to type that sentence since it's so ludicrous in an SA context - we live less than 100m from a public park in Randburg and I have never even considered letting my kids go alone. At the moment the only way my kids can have unsupervised outside time is in our (fenced, electric fenced!) back yard. Is it the same in Sydney? Would it be frowned upon if they walk across the street to play in a park? 

Thanks for the help!

@Tntaglia,

How old are your kids? Legally you can't leave them alone until they are 12-years old and they have to cross busy roads with you till the age of 10.

If they are older than that, sure thing! We LOVE our parks and transitioned from the 3-bedroom house, front and back yards in the suburbs to a 2-bedroom apartment in the city and LOVE it.

I can't explain the freedom, you have to experience it for yourself.

My wife works near Circular Quay close the Opera House as well, we live in Waterloo with buses into the City every 10-mins and the journey takes around 20-30mins from our door, or 2 stops from Green Square station if she goes by train.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Thanks @AFreshStart - that's exactly the kind of info I was hoping for! My oldest is turning 10 in a bit so will probably not be 12 yet when we get there (I hope!!) but it's good to know.

• Like 1

Our kids are now 13 and 14 and the freedom they have is unreal. We both work, but with the great public transport they can get to the mall, or hop on a train and meet us in the city centre, take a bus to the library, walk to the park. Simply fantastic.

• Like 2

My kids are now 5 and 6. Their level of freedom they enjoy is probably on par with what I had in the 80's in RSA. My 6 year old walks to school by himself ( around the corner, but still). They ride their bikes all day (without stabilizers from 3,5yrs) and run in and out of all the houses on our street. We are very lucky to live in an area where everybody acts as "the villiage". I came back from our recent Xmas holiday in RSA feeling sorry for the poor little rich kids (with small worlds) I encountered there. 

Personally, I don't allow my 9 and 5 years old to go alone to the park or the shops. We are under slightly different circumstances as our son (who is the older child) has Mild Autism/Aspergers and he has absolutely no street smarts. Most of my friends kids haven't been out on their own before the age of 11 or so. 

Many of the kids at my son's school walk home alone but that's usually if they live in the same street or they have older siblings.  

There was a show on tv that showed that it took an average of 11 seconds for an adult to lure a child away from a park (sorry to be the voice of doom...) 

• Like 1

My kids are 3 and 8 and don't go anywhere alone. I am still "fresh" to Oz so still getting used to the idea of giving kids the freedom. Many kids in my daughters class walk home alone after school, I see kids at the park alone as well. usually with friends or siblings.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The 12-year old rule is a Queensland law, in NSW there is no minimum age a child may  be to be left unsupervised, there is more of a duty of care for young children and each situation is judged according to the circumstances and maturity of the child. Consider that most kids start high school at 12, so will be hopping the train or bus ...often alone to get to school.

You know your kids and will know if they have savvy, I leave my almost 10 year old for 10 minutes here or there when dropping or fetching hubby from station ( when hes too lazy , cold , hot or whatever to walk the 1.2km from the station)

mine has nagged many many times to stay home when I do grocery shopping and even though she is savvy, being an only child they tend to be more mature, the criminal lawyer in me is too overprotective...can anyone say madelelein McCann?..I keep telling her " when you older"...

If she had a sibling of 2 years or more older than her I'd be letting them out to the park etc alone as two heads are better than one, harder to snatch them etc

• Like 1