High Schools in Sydney

LouiseMark

Hi everyone

So here is my question...how on earth does one decide on a High School?

I have been on the site that provides top rated schools and then taken a list from various areas but......what does it mean "selective high school'? and how to I find out what catchment areas are for each school?

Some have a link but the link does not always work.

I was looking at HOrnsby Girls, North Sydney GHS, Carlingsford, Turramurra, Ryde Secondary College and St Ives.....all very different and no specific area as yet where we will be staying but we liked the areas around Lane Cove, Pymble, North Ryde, Wharoonga.....diverse to say the least.

Any thoughts?

Oh and how can you tell if it is Public or Private? I cannot see any links for fees payable...maybe I am just not on top form today (feeling overwhelmed kills the brain power:wacko:)

I have 1 going to HS and 2 to Junior school .....I think....for 2017 

@LouiseMark,

Selective High Schools don't usually have catchment areas, they are STATE wide, fully selective schools can pick and choose who they want. For example Sydney Boys & Girls High are both fully selective, even if you live across the road they don't have to take you, they hand pick their students. Fully selective schools want the best and brightest and are considered for "gifted" students.

NSW has 17 fully selective high schools and 25 high schools with selective classes (partially selective).

Many PRIVATE schools are also not governed by catchment areas either, it's at their discretion and in many cases even provide transport to fetch children from out of area.

The first port of call is to check is the school IS selective. If they are state public schools then to check their policy on accepting out of catchment students and if they ARE defined by catchment (i.e NOT fully selective). They'll be able to tell you and if the school is worth their salt won't have any problem replying to your e-mails, hopefully in a timely manner.

Of the schools listed above Hornsby & North Sydney are both fully selective. Ryde Secondary College is partially selective. Carlingsford, Turramurra & St. Ives are all state high schools governed by LCA (Local Catchment Areas).

RE Fees, it's been found that some selective schools normally have voluntary (read not so voluntary) fee that is FIVE time higher than 'standard' public schools. For example Sydney Boys asks $500 a year, my son's state school across the way asks $350, hardly a big ask when the government is paying roughly $10k-$15k a year to educate out children!

This website might prove helpful in defining catchment areas of the schools, though most of them are on their respective websites.

Cheers

Matt

@AFreshStart Thanks Matt! 

After lots and lots of searching I figured out what selective means.

Do you perhaps know if "newbies" are ever accepted into these selective schools? My oldest has been accepted into an exclusive high school here based on her excellent academics - so I would guess that would be the equivalent to the selective schools in Oz. I am happy to go with any good school but just want to ensure her academics are upheld. 

@LouiseMark,

I doubt it, it's not that I doubt your daughter, but that her education is to the same standard as it is here in Aus, particularly Sydney.

My son is in Grade 1, he already knows his 1 through 9 times tables, is working on division and fractions. He reads 3 books and week we spend 20-30 mins a day on homework. They do much of their work on a computer, like Mathsletics and Reading Eggs and he's already doing computer programming in MIT's Scatch.

A friend in Melbourne sent their son to a top private school in JHB, he's only in Grade 2 and they had to hire a tutor to bring him up to speed.

Another friends daughter was a straight A student and valedictorian at St. Cyprians in Cape Town, moving to Melbourne she had to repeat Grade 11 because her Math wasn't anywhere near the level of what the Australia schools were doing.

Cheers

Matt

@LouiseMark

They usually need to pass an exam to make it into a selective school - if you got into a selective school based on results alone, good for you, it doesn't usually happen.

We also inquired about that  before we arrived in Aus, as selective would have been first prize for us. Saves on the pricey private school fees. 

@AFreshStart

You're right about the standard here vs SA, Matt. We also arrived for year 11, and my daughter used to do advanced math in SA, and was a very good student at a top private school. Here we found Math hard, and the Chemistry level in SA was not up to scratch (especially lab work). We had to hire tutors as well. Also, the way they examine English here is very different. Strangely, in SA my daughter was stronger in math, and less so in English. Here she is stronger in English, and has only lately picked up her marks in math to a band 6. 

Edited by Pell

Hi, we have been here 8 years and live on the Northern Beaches in Sydney. I work as a primary teacher in the catholic system, my kids attended a public primary school and are now at an independent (private) high school. The public system is a great choice for primary school as it is an excellent education with the added benefit of being free if you have a 457, permanent residency visa. I am not all that sure about what visas give you what but I know some visas mean you have to pay around $15000 a year even at a public school. My oldest daughter is 13 now and attended an OC class in the public system which is a class set aside for 'gifted' students in years 5 and 6. She had to write a test in year 4 (age 10) to be accepted. She then had to write another test at the start of year 6 (age11/12) to be accepted into the local selective school. Selective schools are incredibly hard to get in to. My daughter scraped in to a selective high school off the waiting list but we chose to send her to another school as she is very sporty and the selective school was more focused on academics and offered very little in the way of sporting teams. The North shore has both excellent private and public schools. Selective schools are basically free (depending on your visa) so are very popular. My kids are at a single sex school very similar to one I attended in cape Town. Depending on the age of your daughter barker College is a great option as they start a girls stream from year 10 (15 turning 16)  meaning she would be starting at the same time as all the other girls. It is rather pricey but I know they have a scholarship test coming up in the next month. My girls are not at this school but friends rave about it. 

if you are looking for top scoring schools then take a look at this- remember these scores don't take into account sporting, social and emotional opportunities. http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/hsc-results-2015-top-20-hsc-schools-revealed-20151216-glory7.html

If your primary kids are really bright it may be worth looking at public schools with OC classes although any primary child can sit the test to be accepted it is easier not to have to move schools. The Catholic system is good but unfortunately has been hit by a lack of funding recently and therefore the fees of many of these schools have gone up making it  often not worth the extra cash for what you get unless you consider the religious input side of things very important. 

Good Luck- the area you are looking is great- you pretty much can't go wrong, all those schools are good.

@SydneyMum & @LouiseMark

You are totally correct, Barker College is a great school. In fact, when I was trying to decide on a high school for my daughter, I asked friends of mine, who had been in Aus for 8 years at the time: What high school would you send your kids, all things being equal? They said, Barker College without hesitation. Of course I did some research, went to  http://www.bettereducation,com.au , compared schools, areas etc., compiled a short list and applied to one or two public and several private schools (even tried the selective ones, but while they were happy to take my $100 registration fees, they weren't too helpful or communicative - they're in high demand, so really why should they move a finger for someone coming from SA). The public schools I wanted were very strict in terms of zoning, and we could not be sure that we would secure a rental in the area (we arrived end December), and I could not take the chance of leaving it up in the air (my daughter was going into year 11) so we decided on private.

Edited by Pell

@SydneyMum

Thanks for sharing your experience!

The public system is a great choice for primary school as it is an excellent education with the added benefit of being free if you have a 457, permanent residency visa. I am not all that sure about what visas give you what but I know some visas mean you have to pay around $15000 a year even at a public school.

Just as a point of clarity I want to share that in NSW public schools are not FREE on a 457 VISA, they are indeed FREE on a PR Visa though. On a 457 VISA the current fees for the 2016 public school year are $5000 per year per Child. Not that it effects @LouiseMark being on a 189 VISA, but in case anyone reads this who IS on a 457 VISA.

Cheers

Matt

My 5 cents worth for this area (Pymble, Wahroonga, Gordon, Killara, St Ives) as you’re obviously looking to live in these areas – you can’t go wrong as these are all very good areas on the Upper North Shore, and girls are spoilt for choice: 

1.       Selective schools only want straight A students, you have to sit an entrance exam, and the ratio is generally non-English heritage students. Hornsby Girls – Very good selective school, 88% non-English-heritage student population.  North Sydney Girls High – also a selective school with a 90% non-English-heritage student population.

2.       Private schools – if you can afford it, the private girl’s schools in this area are: Pymble Ladies College (Pymble), Ravenswood (Gordon), Abbotsleigh (Wahroonga). Girls only.  Private Boys are: Knox, Barker and .....that's about it on the Upper North Shore.

3.       Catholic schools – very good, cheaper alternative than private.  Brigidine College is in St Ives. Girls only.

4.       Government: some better than others although all in the Upper North shore are good. Co-ed.

The following Government schools belong to the “North Shore 5 Partnership”: [Turramurra, Killara, St Ives, Ku-ring-gai, Chatswood].  Some of these schools have a GAT Program (Gifted and Talented).

Turramurra High – not selective but zoned.  If you don’t live in Turramurra you will not get in.  It has a good reputation for a very good Upper North Shore suburb.  It is also the only government high school in this area, a bit tucked away at the far southern end of the suburb, and far from the station, but Turramurra is a lovely leafy area on the train line.

Ku-ring-gai High (formerly Ku-ring-gai Creative Arts [and Technology]) which is improving in reputation, but not known as an academic school.  Also to the far North of Turramurra, far from the train line.  This school services: Pymble, Turramurra, Warrawee, Wahroonga, parts of Hornsby, even St Ives, and surrounding areas.

St Ives – services St Ives (not really zoned, but may be in the cards due to so many kids in these areas).  Will also take out of area in Turramurra, Pymble, Gordon, etc.  Greative improved due to property prices sky-rocketing and has a GAT programme!!  Perfectly situated on the bus line – easy access.  Also right next door to the St Ives Primary School.

Killara – Many people buy an apartment in the area just so they can prove they live in the area to send their children to the school.  It’s not selective (but might as well be), but you have to live in Killara (You may be zoned if you live in Gordon or Lindfield).  Has a very high ratio of non-English Heritage students, and thus very high academic standards.  Great area on the train line also easy access with a GAT programme.

Chatswood – Mostly non-English Heritage students.  (don’t know much about this school).

I have friends with kids in all the schools mentioned above (except for Chatwood), both Private, Selective, Government and Catholic – and all of them love their schools and say their kids are thriving.  The families come from different backgrounds both South Africans and Australians.  Ironically the Parents who are professionals send their kids to government schools.  Even if you are in a private school, many kids receive private tutoring/coaching (out of school hours – private lessons)  to compete with some very high cultural standards.  In the end, you will have to match your child to the school and environment - and you also need to be practical: how are you going to get your kids to school: walk, bus, rail, drive.  

Also, some people send their kids to for e.g. St Ives High for Years 7/8/9/10, then send them to Barker Private School for Year 11 and 12 (Barker is a Boys School, however for Year 11 and 12 girls are accepted to enroll).

Hope this helps!!

• Like 2

Wow! Thank you @AFreshStart @SydneyMum @Pell and @Ozfan I really appreciate all the responses. Given me lots t think about!

I am happy to go state school (for obvious financial reasons) in the beginning and take it from there. My kids will need to find there feet but I have no doubt they will excel and be happy. I am in education so I am sure I will be on hand to help them where needed and I know that the education they have had to date has been topnotch and beyond.

Now to decided when..........limbo.....