Transition from 457 to PR

colinp

Question

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before but I have a question related to transitioning from 457 to PR under ENS direct stream. Is a positive English test assessment required(IELTS or other)  or is it possible to get an exemption ?

I am currently on a 457 for which English proficiency was exempt due to full time schooling/education in English. Is the same possible when transitioning to PR ? It seems that exemption is only possible under certain circumstances such as earning over $180k p/a  (ATO) etc. 

Thanks in advance for re replies.

Cheers,

Colin

4 answers to this question

To my knowledge that is about the only exemption. Ask one of the agents on the forum.

We didn't have to do one. Neither for 457 nor ENS. Ask the agent who will be processing your ENS, but it is highly unlikely that you would have been exempt for the 457 and not ENS. 

It depends on which PR you go for... If it is an independent application, then you need points, then yes.

But if you get an employer sponsored one, and you have worked for 2 years, then no. (Because it is not points based then, and you have already proved that you can work in the workforce with your existing English)

That is how much I understand.

But as always I am happy to be corrected

We have just lodged our 187 visa application, my husband as the main applicant was required to write the IELTS and needed 6's in each band. I, as the secondary applicant could submit proof of 5 years of high school education in English (thank goodness, don't think I could have stomached writing the test). Best to ask your agent for their advice though!