Going on Activation Trip

PhatMyles

So we will be coming over on the 19th August until 29th August. We will be in Sydney from Friday until Monday, when we will be flying to Brisbane and Goldcoast. We will then fly back to Sydney on the Saturday to catch the Darling harbour fireworks display. We return to the motherland on Monday. I am too excited. 

It will just be an activation trip, not really an LSD. We will decide where to go based on where we are most likely to generate income for us, at that time. We got a very good deal on Qantas: R31000 for all these flights. We had a difficult time with accommodation in Sydney, until we conceded to the idea that Sydney is an expensive city, so all the decent accommodation will be costly, even on Airbnb. The decision that we are still debating is whether to rent a car or not. We will be with two boys 2 and 5 years old, and my concern is the luggage from the Airports to the booked accommodation. Its going to be two large bags, four small bags, and a stroller. We will make that decision in two weeks.

Some of my friends have just come back from Sydney, something you have to take into consideration (unless your accommodation includes parking) is the price of parking in Sydney. It is ridiculously expensive so just find out from your accommodation.

I wouldn't bother with hiring a car in Sydney, just use public transport. Hire a maxi cab to/from the airport. You can get around Sydney very well using public transport.

When we moved to Sydney almost two years ago our kids were 2 and 4, we took 2-months to buy a car.

We relied on walking, taxis and public transport. Parking in the City can cost upwards of $15 an hour, even early bird rates can cost $35-$50 a day! I'd not bother with a car, use a Taxi or Uber to get to your accommodation and make sure it's close to public transport and you'll be okay.

Cheers

Matt

@AFreshStart Matt I had not thought of Uber... A quick research on the internet shows that it could be the most cost effective option. I understand on Sundays public transport using Opal is maxed at $2.50. We were not planning on using the car on Sunday. I think I will Uber. My concern was if we would manage with luggage from the airport to the house. Our accommodation is at a place called Brighton Le Sands, just near the airport. The house is quite near the beach, and I understand one can get to see the planes landing and going, so that would gibe wife and sons a little bit of entertainment.

Just make sure you have a means of accessing the internet for Uber to work.  It's probably cheapest to buy a simcard at the airport with some data on it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisH said:

Just make sure you have a means of accessing the internet for Uber to work.  It's probably cheapest to buy a simcard at the airport with some data on it.

Yep. I will do that.

34 minutes ago, PhatMyles said:

@AFreshStart Matt I had not thought of Uber... A quick research on the internet shows that it could be the most cost effective option. I understand on Sundays public transport using Opal is maxed at $2.50. We were not planning on using the car on Sunday. I think I will Uber. My concern was if we would manage with luggage from the airport to the house. Our accommodation is at a place called Brighton Le Sands, just near the airport. The house is quite near the beach, and I understand one can get to see the planes landing and going, so that would gibe wife and sons a little bit of entertainment.

Use M-Taxi, an app linked to the cab network here, you can select the cab you want, a people carrier would work well and they'd have ample space for your bags. As @ChrisH shared, buy a prepaid sim at the airport and get set-up for Inet on the go. Brighton Le Sands is close to the Airport out Port Botany way, it's quite far away from the action to be honest and has no trains or ferries so would mean you'd need to bus over to neighboring Rockdale and catch the train in.

The commute is around 15-20 minutes without delays from Rockdale to Central, where you can connect to most places. If you want to get further into the CBD you'll need to bus, go on foot, or get off at Wynyard Station.

If I were you you I'd have tried to get closer to the action, Surry Hills would have been a great bet because you're walking distance from Central and close to the CBD, you can walk to Circular Quay in under 20 minutes, where you'll be able to Ferry across to the Northern Beaches and have access to major bus routes.

Loads of parks in the area in Surry Hills (my son goes to school in the area), shops, cafes, supermarkets etc.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 2

@BIGSHARK how long will you be in Sydney for? are you visiting any other cities?

@AFreshStart apartments closer to the action were very expensive, especially since I only managed to confirm my availability for the trip at the end of July, due to work commitments and stuff. So I had to settle for a bit further out. However when we return from Goldcoast on  the 27th we will be in the city, in Woolloommoolloo for two nights before heading back home. We will spend the majority of the trip in Brisbane and Gold Coast to cut down on the expenses. Sydney is quiet expensive..... Really expensive when your income is in any Southern African currency.

@ PhatMyles,  we will be in Sydney for 2 weeks, not travelling to other places.  Just really needing to activate visa. 

• Like 1

The adventure has started! Did a 9hr drive from Orapa in Central Botswana yesterday to Johannesburg. We got into Johannesburg at 2330 last night (Wednesday). We are flying out on the 1910 flight this evening. We managed to arrange a 3pm checkout of our hotel for today, to give us as much rest as possible. I went to bed at around 12, but was up by 4am...I am too excited! We haven't divulged much to our kids, as we don't want them too excited. We will let them know exactly what's going on when we get to the airport later.

A minor set back... Our 2yo uses one of those strollers with the detachable wheels... We brought the stroller and forgot the wheels 9 hrs away! That certainly forces us to reevaluate our transport options. Or maybe see if we can rent a stroller. But we will make it. God is good!

• Like 2

On 15/08/2016 at 9:53 AM, BIGSHARK said:

@ PhatMyles,  we will be in Sydney for 2 weeks, not travelling to other places.  Just really needing to activate visa. 

Great. I think in that way you get a more solid feel of the city, thsn having bits and pieces of a number... We got a good deal from Qantas with regards to adding the flights to and from Brisbane, so we added them.

We are having a blast. Got into Goldcoast this afternoon, after two days in Brisbane. Its been raining since, but weather forecast says it will clear up by tomorrow. We are hitting the theme parks tomorrow.

I was super excited by Brisbane though. I can see myself living there... The Southbank beach was a treat for my little ones. Then we went on the CityHopper ferry up and down the Brisbane River. It was all Free... You would be surprised by how much free, and family friendly fun one can have in Brissy...

• Like 5

"I won't be in when you come, so I will leave the stroller for you out on the front porch," said Mel, from the stroller rental agency. "Just slide the cash under my front door."

A few hours later I got to the address "Mel from the stroller rental agency" had given me, and lo and behold, a Baby Jogger City Mini GT was lying there, waiting for me. I slid the cash under the door, and texted Mel, and left. That happened in Sydney last week Sunday 

The only identification that "Mel from the stroller rental agency" has of me is a text message of my name.

• Like 2

It's amazing isn't it. My best experience of something similar was when we bought a large electronic piano off eBay from somebody in our city. She was going into hospital for minor surgery so instead of making us wait until she was out (which we didn't mind) she left her key under the mat for us to let ourselves (total strangers!!) into her house to load up the piano. The only precaution she had taken for having strangers in her house was to close all doors leading off the passage. It's both amazing and wonderful to live in a place like this. As a fellow Ozzie said to me once after hearing our stories: you must just kiss the walls every day when you wake up. LOVE living here. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RYLC said:

It's amazing isn't it. LOVE living here. 

Totally amazing! I can't wait to be living here!

That inherent ability to trust and place reliance on potential strangers integrity is such a precious and under appreciated fragile commodity. :D  It hasn't got an explicit monetary value to it but it's fleeting existence can seem more valuable to one than a wad of money when ones been starved of it. 

There is of course always going to be some form of dishonesty everywhere as I was reminded recently viewing an online tool on crime rates in Oz from the Oz police. However being able to view the common person in the way you two describe just immediately suggests a healthier society.

Local press reporting on SA emigration often hastely just take that sentiment and shove it under "safety and security concerns"  in a trite manner but it's something larger and oddly more enigmatic in my mind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WayneAndMel said:

There is of course always going to be some form of dishonesty everywhere as I was reminded recently viewing an online tool on crime rates in Oz from the Oz police. However being able to view the common person in the way you two describe just immediately suggests a health

Driving from Brisbane to Goldcoast on the M1 Pacific Highway. 95% of the people drive at the 110km/hr speed limit. There will be a few driving below that, and a few driving slightly above that.Once in a while there will be that nut, speeding at about 120 to 140km/hr. Just to emphasis your point @WayneAndMel that yes, there are a few bad ones, but generally,  most of them are okay. 

On another note, parking in Sydney City centre is exorbitantly expensive. However, your accommodation might have free parking, or subsidized. This weekend I am paying $30 per night. However with a pit of prior plannibg, you can "book a parking bay" on Wilson Parking website and save some money. On Weekends you only pay between $7 and $15 for a whole day,sometimes even overnight. The only catch is its for one entry and exit from the parking lot. Otherwise it starts at $15 for 0-30mins... No grace period!