Starting our journey

Natia

Its not a police matter really - it is a council issue.  It doesnt really bother me all that much - they normally start barking a bit at 6am and I am up already then.  During the day it is hit and miss and they dont really bark non stop at night - unless the owner is out. Then they will bark a bit more and for longer and then make a racket when he comes home.  Bottom line, it doesnt bug me enough to go through with the process and not worth it for the aggro and keeping civil with the neighbours.   Reckon it would be a different story if I had an infant that kept on getting woken up by the dogs......

Oh, ok...makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Just as a reference for OP:

You are correct with the ACS stuff. They consider experience only after 3 years of work as qualified experience so if you have worked for 5 years then that is 2 years of claimable experience. On top of that the experience is only valid AFTER the completion of a degree. I got my 3 year national diploma in 2007 and completed my BTech end of 2012 and so even after working for 8 years I couldn't claim any work experience. Also make sure those reference letters are 100% in the exact same format as the ACS has in their example in there PDF on the website otherwise they tend to mark the reference as invalid.

We are also bringing 2 dogs and 3 cats over. Managed to find a place to rent in Mount Waverley, 3 bed 2 bath, for $500 a week that has a garden for the pets. We did have to put down a bigger bond ($3000) when telling the landlord and a clause was added to the contract that if the carpets get ruined by the pets the landlord is entitled to the entire bond. Many of the landlords are not fond of pets but you just have to do the headwork and apply around after inspecting and hope.

The import is costing us roughly R160k-R175k for all 5. Important to note is that you need to start the process 6 months before they leave South Africa. They have to go for injections, have blood taken and assessed and be regularly dewormed and deflead throughout the 6 month process. These have to happen on very exact dates and you have to have the track record. If you are in JHB contact PetPort and they can give you all the details. Once the process is done and they fly out to Aus they have to stay in quarantine for 10 days. You also need to make sure you have a buffer as if there are problems with the pets this side in quarantine you have to pay for vet inspections and medicines as well as the extra days they would have to stay in quarantine. Also important to note is the area that you wind up residing at in Aus will have local council by laws.Ours says you can have a max of 2 dogs and 2 cats and any extra pets require a yearly paid license. You may also be required to pay a yearly license fee for each registered pet which is used to maintain the dog parks etc.

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone,

We finally applied for our visas on Thursday :D (9 March 2017) and going medicals on Thursday. Its been a long and emotional time as many of you well know, but we are finally here. Antonio is planning on landing in Sydney anytime between May - June. Sydney was never our first choice, but you go where work takes you, and we are sooo grateful!!

Is there any Facebook groups I can join that anybody knows about in Sydney, or is is suburb based like most places? 

We need to book our 2 dogs and 3 cats into quarantine in Melbourne and I am busy with sorting out paper work for all of this to happen, has anyone recently gone through this process? I am so worried about this. Also, does anyone have any advice on how to get them from Melbourne to Sydney after quarantine?

TIA
Natia