1 Year in Aus!

SML

Hi all!

It has been 1 year now in Australia! Time really does fly!

We arrived in the middle of winter in Perth last year and were surprised at how cold and wet it was. We were expecting it to be cold but the houses aren’t equipped for it so we froze! We were in temporary accommodation for 4 months and then moved into a longer term rental.

We arrived in the school holiday and I arranged to meet some moms and kids from the class. That helped a lot and I have become friends with a couple of those moms and we see each other often. We were amazed at how friendly everyone was! I was invited out with the other moms and had a lot of fun.

Our kids were in Pre-primary when we arrived & we had to work quite hard to get them up to the same standard as the other kids! They were already writing sentences & reading more than our kids! But, the teacher was very good and gave them some homework to do and they caught up quickly. The kids have taken on Australia as their new home and are passionate Aussie supporters! We still supports the boks but are happy that they feel that Australia is their home.

The emotions of moving hit my husband & me really hard. It took me 6 months to adjust to the work, the way things are done here and different procedures. My husband works from home and that is more isolating but he is meeting others for swimming and making sure he gets out of the house.

Perth itself is beautiful. The beaches are stunning! BUT it is very isolated. Day to day is fine but if you want to go anywhere, it is a 5 hour flight & expensive! We found the driving interesting, most people drive at the same speed limit but they hate letting anyone into their lane! In Brisbane, people drive up right behind you but let you in with pleasure!The nice thing about Perth is that it is all along the beach so most suburbs are not more than 20min to the beach.

We recently went over to Brisbane on a working holiday and look see! We met up with @SurferMan! Thanks for having us to your house! Our QLD trip was a fantastic experience. The whole family went over. It had that familiar feeling and we loved it. The weather was superb! We had Koala's in the garden and Wallabies! The drawback for me is that it’s more a river city. But there are some lovely suburbs along the coast. We found the Sunshine coast absolutely beautiful! We are on a SS 190 and so have to stay in WA for another 18/12 and will then consider moving across. But, in the meantime, Perth is treating us well & we are getting more settled!

It seems like I have been babbling, sorry! I still like reading other people’s experiences so thought that I would let everyone else know how the first year has been!

Cheers

SML

• Like 12

Thank you so much for the update, we will be moving over in December. its such feedback that makes one more confident about the move and reassure one that  that move is the right one. now that the letter is there, there is no turning back. Thank you for the awesome feedback.

• Like 3

@SML

So glad you are enjoying the move. I would love to have you over again when you move to Brissie, you guys are a breeze to entertain. But next time I will break out some real food, seeing as you snacked like two sparrows!!! LOL.

• Like 2