ICT skills assessment only for Visa?

wonderer

Question

Hi All,

My husband is not the main applicant and works in IT / ICT, will he still need to do a skills assessment and English test to work in Australia?

I need both to work and that's part of the reason why I'm the main applicant. I work for myself though, and proofing experience feels like it might turn into a nightmare, so if he needs to do those anyway, we might consider making him the main applicant.  

Also on this nightmare to proof experience, can you only proof for those years that you claim points for? And if you can make up all the points elsewhere, can you just skip that all together (proof experience)?

Thanks

3 answers to this question

The secondary applicant gets the same working rights as the main applicant, so no skills assessment needed. For secondary applicant, english test is required if you cannot prove funtional english (4 year enligh high school or english degree) 

6 hours ago, vitchie said:

The secondary applicant gets the same working rights as the main applicant, so no skills assessment needed. For secondary applicant, english test is required if you cannot prove funtional english (4 year enligh high school or english degree) 

Hi Vitchie,

Many thanks for your response, my concern was more about employ-ability. I don't know, but guess that accountants might need to register to work/practice and was wondering about IT guys. (din't think so but it seems they have more regulations than us, so wanted to make sure.) I see you are in IT, so from your response assume that he can just use his SA CV with qualifications as is. 
Thanks!

Should be able to use his skills as is. What you can do is get his skills and qualifications assessed by the Australian Computing Society (ACS) for aboyt $450-$500.

Depending on his situation he will have to submit degrees, uni transcripts, work history and ref letters for all work (NB ref letters must be 100% accurate to the format they want - msg me if you need particulars).