Teacher experience advise

HJL

I'm hoping that there will be someone on the forum that may be able to give me some advice. It's a bit of a long shot, but here goes anyway.  I'll be submitting my EOI at the beginning of September hopefully. Just waiting for my Skills Assessment to come back, then I should be ready to submit. I will be applying under Special Needs Teacher. I will have 3 years experience working in the Special needs field at the end of this year. I have another 10 years of mainstream teaching experience before I went into Special needs. Would I only be able to count the special needs teaching for points (which would only be 5 at the end of the year), or could I also include the mainstream teaching as it is 'closely related'? I will still have enough points without the mainstream experience, but obviously the more points I can claim the better.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I would include all teaching experience.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I would suggest you get AITSL to assess your work experience as well because you will have a serious issues claiming work experience you cannot prove are "in line" with what you are claiming as your qualification :)

Also note that you can only claim work experience from the time you obtained your Degree or relevant qualification you are using - i.e. Special Needs Teacher.

Otherwise im sure you can use all relevant work experience on your CV and when applying for jobs in Aus ;) 

Hi @Deezo. Hmmm, I never thought about having to count the experience time from when I obtained the special needs qualification. Was counting from the degree. Thanks for that! Got the special needs qualification in 2008, so possibly can count for 'closely related' experience from then till I started full time special needs in 2014. I should get my skills assessment back in the next week so to resend for the experience part now may not be worth it. May just submit EOI without claiming points for experience and hope 60 points is enough. Thanks again for the advice.

• Like 1

Hi @HJL

Gosh its all confusing because the immigration process says you can only claim work experience from the time you achieved your qualification but thats why you also go through the Skills Assessment process so that they can also advise further based on all the supporting info you send.

Its not worth paying money to have it done again so aim for a 8's on all IELTS so you can get 20 points and then you should be fine :) 

From what i can see teachers are in demand in most states but not too sure about WA though but dont give up because the wait for the invite can be the worst ;) 

All the best and hope to read your good news soon!

Hi @HJL. When you submitted your skill's assessment documents to AITSL (I think), did you include the extra "Request for skilled employment statement" document?

That request isn't part of the main document, but they include the option of a free assessment of your work experience for immigration purposes. However, they only do it for free if you submit that request together with your skill assessment documentation. Otherwise you can do it separately for $215.

Once you get the skilled employment statement from AITSL, it should give you an indication of how many points you can claim in your EOI.

• Like 1

I really should have sent off my employment proof with my skills assessment. Hind sight, hey. Thanks for all the encouragement. I got 9's for my IELTS so am fortunate to have 20 points there. So will have the 60 on the dot without claiming for employment, and must just be super patient while we wait for an invite. ?

When are you planning to go Deezo? Will be following your wife's progress as it's always nice to hear of success stories of those in your same line of work.  I see you have got your visa. Congrats!

Edited by HJL
  • Like 1

Thanks @HJL but we often learn the hard way when we dont use an agent (for some even with an agent..aka us!! ;) ) 

At least you got 60 points so you can lodge your EOI for 189 and then also look at doing a 190 and get an additional 5 points for a State Nomination :) 

Sure its always good to know of someone in a similar career so we will also keep an eye open on your progress!

We haven't received our visa yet but have booked to do our medicals for next week Thursday and then we will pay and lodge our visa application and then its just a matter of hoping, praying and waiting for the approval to come through!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Im so glad that I finally found a place to ask all these questions to people that are going/went  trough the same process I am currently going through. 

This is such a daunting but yet exciting time in my life.

Obviously Im  new to this forum and have a couple of questions, apologies if  I am repeating previously asked questions. I am in the process of applying for my Visa as a High school teacher, currently all my documents are with AITSL for checking; (Holding Thumbs) Luckily Im working through a agent, it really simplifies the process.

I would just like to know from people who actually went through the same experience as I am.  The internet can be  full of conflicting stories and this process is already nerve wrecking(Leaving everything behind and starting over)

Please indulge my ignorance:

1. How would a person compare a typical work day in a school in Aus. vs SA, workload, class sizes, sport,  children's behavior, salary  etc.

2. According to so many sources there is a shortage of teachers in Aus, however other sources state that there is plenty of teachers around and it is actually quite hard to find work, and so many teachers leave the profession because they cant find something permanent.

3. Does Bostes accept your IELTS results - or do you actually have to sit the peat exam?

Hi all,

I would like to find out how long it took to receive the actual statement from AITLS? My wife's application is in and according to my calculation the 10 weeks from accepting payment is round about the 19th of October. Just curious/nervous as to how long we have to wait, especially with our reliable postal service.

Some feedback would be appreciated

Hi @jjschnetler

11 minutes ago, jjschnetler said:

I would like to find out how long it took to receive the actual statement from AITLS? 

We waited 3 days for it to be sent via courier to our then agent in Australia but can take around 11 to 15 days for it to be sent via courier to SA.

Hi @Deezo

Thank you for the reply.

So now I've received contradicting information. Our agent recons that AITLS will not use a courier, registered mail maybe. So I sent an email this morning to AITLS requesting if they could send it via courier. Will wait for a reply.

My vetassess I manage to courier and got it within a week. 

AITLS assessment is one of the last pieces we need for our process, just medicals after that and the EOI formalities. :)

• Like 1

My apologies they had sent it via mail to our agent in Aus and that took 3 days.

Its the courier to us in SA that took some time but we only needed this because we stopped using our agent and went ahead on our own.

Ah sorry to hear :( 

And the mailing system to SA is a real joke so i hope for your sake it doesnt get lost!!!

Perhaps try and get them to send to someone you know in Aus and then let them courier to you in SA just to be safe...

Does anyone know of any teachers that received a negative assessment??

Wife did her degree at WITS and has 5yrs experience now.

Hi @jjschnetler. I sent my skills assessment via courier and then received an email from Aitsl when they were sending it back with a tracking number. They sent it back via registered mail. You can track it on www.trackmyparcel.co.za. Just put in the number sent by Aitsl. I just followed the tracking and when it had arrived in my hometown I went to the post office closest to my address and gave them the tracking number and my ID and they gave me the skills assessment. Time- took about 9 weeks before it left Aus from arriving there. Then about 7 working days till it arrived at the post office. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone. 

I have had such a frustrating process... (As i am sure many of you do to :) )

After a 12 week wait with AITSL Assessing my qualification i get an email saying they have posted the outcome to my Aunt in Aus. GUESS WHAT!!! THEY LOST THE REGISTERED LETTER IN THE POST!!!! IN AUSTRALIA!!!!! So its been days of fighting with AITSL to email me the outcome. Which they finally did. BTW - good luck trying to get hold of them!!!

The outcome is positive (THANK G-D). However the skilled employment statement they messed up! They only recognised 2 out of my 9 years teaching! I have been advised to move forward with my EOI and Application as the employment in legit and suited. However its scary proceeding when they have not recognised it!?!?!?!?

I have emailed them now to ask why and if they can redo it? 

Anyone else proceeded without AITSL recognising the employment on the SKILLED EMPLOYMENT STATEMENT?