Rental property (Sydney) - kitchen appliances & curtain / blinds typically included?

FionaS

Hi All

We have 5 weeks to go until we make our move from JHB to Sydney. Eeeeek to the power of eish! I still have so much to do still...

I would like some guidance on what kitchen appliances are typically included in unfurnished rental homes. I have been trawling the long-term rental property websites but the property listings don't necessarily stipulate if appliances are included. Also, do unfurnished rental properties usually come with curtains / blinds already fitted?

We are debating whether or not to put every one of our existing appliances and current curtains in the shipping container, or not. We don't want to take unnecessary stuff, but also don't want to be short-sighted.

Any tips / guidance in this regard will be greatly appreciated. 

THANKS!

F

• Like 1

I might be my imagination, but I think there is a law that requires blinds or curtains in rentals and when you buy a property. The same goes for a stove. We had a dishwasher in 1 out of 5 houses, but then we have always lived in old houses. Mind you, the one who had the

dishwasher was a cottage of well over 100 years. 

• Like 1

Yes Rozellem you are right.  In most states it is law that the house has to be immediately habitable so that includes curtains/blinds and stove.  It doesn't include microwave, fridge and dishwasher but sometimes you'll be lucky and get some of those too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. We just moved in, and I guess we are lucky, as we were issued with a microwave, dishwasher, stove and blinds in the house.

I have not seen any of the rentals without dishwashers.

We packed our curtains into the container as well, as I can not predict where we will stay in future. Maybe we use them, maybe not. I guess, it you have space, bring them. You will in any case get more for it in Aus if you decide to sell it.

• Like 1

Hi @FionaS, we looked through tons of apartments in multiple suburbs.

I cant think of one that didn't have a stove, oven, dishwasher and blinds.

A microwave was a plus in the older apartments but not in all of them.

But in all new/newer developments they all had the microwave integrated.

• Like 1