Public Schools - Christian Based

dancealot

Hi

Please may you let me know for those of you that have children in public schools in Australia.  What has been your findings in regards to Christianity in the schools.  I know there are schools specifically for that, however that does come at a price.

Would love you to share your experiences should you be a Christian family with your children (specifically primary) at a public school.  Do the states also differ?

Thanks so much.

• Like 1

Just my opinion and experience of our Sydney area and in particular our lovely local primary school:

I know people panic when they are about to move to Aus and think that in the absence of official Christianity in schools there will be something bad, but there (in my experience) is a stronger moral code than I experienced as a child in a "Christian" state school in South Africa.  The teaching style and school environment we encounter in school here is all about kindness, friendship, working together, being inclusive to everybody you encounter, do onto others....etc.  My son goes to scripture at school and there are different types you can choose from  (Jewish, Catholic, etc) or you could opt for an ethics class (very good course work).  It is really a live and let live environment, where nobody teases or bullies you about the choice you have made.  If that happens, the teacher/school would not allow it for a second.  I know my church has a mentoring program that runs in my sons school, for kids who are going through a tough time and need extra attention (mum with cancer, new step siblings, etc).  The school works closely with these mentors and see them as a special asset to the school. In my area you struggle to get a teenage babysitter on a Friday night as they are all at Youth.  The Youth programs in schools, their fun camps and casual Friday night get togethers at local church and community halls are very strong and even attended by kids from non church going families.  I am very happy with our school choice and would say to not stress about this.  State primary schools (known as "public" schools) are for the most part fantastic.  Save your money for when they go to high school. 

• Like 3

We are a Christian family in Melbourne, my daughter is in grade 3 in a public school in Doncaster. It is a non religious school, they are quite proud of that fact really. However it has been strictly playing and learning, no situation where my daughter was mocked or her values compromised has occurred. There is a very good culture of live and let live.

We joined a FANTASTIC church with a FANTASTIC youth program. 

We are happy with our choices.

• Like 3

Hi

I really appreciate your replies.  Thank you.  Another worry was bullying that might be an issue at some schools.  Once we have the all important job, will narrow our search and see from there.

Thank you!