Under new management

Stepchook

So here's the thing.

I'm not sure whether I can consider myself as an "oldie" on this forum, even though I joined back in 2007. Back then the Rand was R6.43 to the AUD. Back then our entire visa application cost $2,160. Back then, my handle was Pygmalion. But now I've returned "under new management" and Rumpelstiltskin is my name (I know - pretty lame).

So maybe I'm to be considered a noob?

Anyhow, my story is that I arrived in Australia in 2010 with permanent residence (the old 175 subclass visa). At the time, I had also just qualified as a Registered Migration Agent and was newly registered with MARA. I found it difficult to juggle a full-time job as an IT professional, a startup migration agency and all the nuances that come with settling into a new life, so I had to let my registration lapse so that I could focus on settling in. So much has changed within Australian Migration Law, that I'm almost positive that I now know less about it than all of you here! So much has changed even with the English test. When I did mine, IELTS was all there was and, for whatever reason, I ended up having to do the Academic version, rather than the General. Now I see there's the Pearson test too?

Fast forward six years to today and here I am, an Australian Citizen, loving life here in Brissy with my amazing wife and teenage daughters, two little mutts and four feathery chooks (who had better start laying eggs soon, or else!). I decided to hop back onto the forum because my wife's cousin has just entered the emigration game and she needs heaps of help and support. Stephne has started posting on the forum and, if her experience here is anything like mine, I'm sure she'll be overwhelmed with the wonderful help and support she'll soon discover here. Her BFF, TammyP, is elated that Steph and her husband have taken the leap (seriously, you should see the grin on Tammy's face!) and will no doubt become super active on the forum again.

I look forward to following the many roller-coaster rides of many of you here on the forum (hopefully no derailments!) and would love to help where I can.

• Like 6

I am a great believer in giving unto others. We are not put on this earth to be solitary creatures who fend only for themselves. You are only truly happy when you can give people a helping hand. This forum is a great example of that. ?

Jeez, back when we applied for immigration (2001), all you had to do was prove that you studied secondary and tertiary education in English. If you didn't then I think you had to do a test. Boy, am I grateful for that...