Taking my off-road Motorbike with to Oz?

DuaneC

Question

Hi All,

I am thinking about taking my off-road KTM motorbike with to Oz. I am not sure if it is viable or not with regards to the law, shipping, tax and duties payable. 

I would like to know is it possible? Do I send it as a complete bike in a container or can I take it apart, pack it into boxes and ship it over/fly it over?

Please can you assist if you have any answers to my questions and the cost of this process?

Thanks for your help!

2 answers to this question

Hi @DuaneC

See you never received any responses on this. Was just searching for an answer to the same question, so thought I'd revive the thread. My husband is a KTM adventure biker and I know it would make our move that much happier if he could take his bike with. Anyone had any experience with this? 

Edited by Husky
Grammar

@DuaneC  @Husky Hi guys

I don't have the answers to your questions as I sold my bikes before moving to Oz. Needed the money at the time.

One thing I can say, as a fellow rider, there is much to see and do with a bike here. I stayed away from road bikes back in Africa. I was simply too scared of the crazy drivers on the road. Since moving here I have got back into road bikes. Bought my self a cruiser. Looking at buying an adventure bike down the line. The GS would be nice, but a bit out of my reach. So looking at the Yamaha Super T.

If you would like to get an idea of the purchase price of a  equivalent bike to your models here, check out www.bikesales.com.au. This will give you an idea of the purchase price (new or used). Compare this to what you might get back in RSA or the cost including shipping. The advantages of buying locally is (depending on the age) is the dealer support that comes along with the bike. In my case the cruiser was a dealer used 1.5 year old Yamaha. I got a good deal including remainder of the factory warranty and the dealer threw in the reggo and an extended warranty for free. 

Having said that, if you are bringing in a container with all other stuff, including the bike will be quite easy. As I said I do not know what the duty implications are. You might be able to include it under your personal goods duty free allowance I feel. Paying only the GST. Do some research on this. One thing you will need to make sure is (being off road bikes) it is completely clear of mud, dirt etc. The quarantine guys are very very strict. Do a thorough clean. Leave not even a spec of dirt. Heard of a guy from South America that brought a 4x4 and despite all the cleaning, a little bit had been left uncleaned in one of the under carriage cross members. This caused him a bit of trouble.

Hope this helps. 

Hopefully our riding paths will cross one day :)