What size to buy or replace with

WayneAndMel

Good Afternoon all,

Please can you shed some light on this topic. To buy a bed in Aus or buy new in RSA and ship. I have done a comparison of what the sizes are available to us: see the table:

Australian bed & mattress sizes South Africa bed sizes
Bed Type
Metric Measurements (cm)
Bed Type
Metric Measurements (cm)
Single Size * Single Size 92cm x 188cm
Single Extra Long size 92 cm x 203 cm Single Extra Long size 92cm x 200cm
King Single size 106 cm x 203 cm King Single size *
Double Size 137 cm x 187 cm Double Size  137cm x 188cm
Queen Size 153 cm x 203 cm Queen Size 152cm x 188cm
Three Quarters Size * Three Quarters Size 107cm x 188cm
Extra length Double  * Extra length Double  137cm x 200cm
King Size  * King Size  183cm x 188cm

Please let me know your opinion if its worth buying from RSA both bed (matress and base) and beddin or rather better to buy in Aus as the sizes are different and the actual bedding may not fit perfectly.

• 1 month later...

I've read and seen online that the Auusie prices for mattresses are just ridiculous. Check them for yourself if you are unsure. The linnen on the other hand has been pretty much what it costs in RSA, just make sure to compare the same thread counts, it makes a huge difference in price. Also, shop around, the prices vary a lot. So see if you can buy a size in RSA that translates well to Aus, and then you can always buy linnen here if you need. Keep in mind that only the fitted sheets really matter, the rest are separate and can be sized on their own, eg duvet.

Finally: Australia runs on sales! Try to never pay full price for anything, unless you absolutely have to. And always haggle over the deal. (With things like a washing machine, not potatoes) ;) 

Edited by RedPanda
  • Like 2

I would buy here purely because one of the first things you'll need when you set up house is a bed and you may as well be comfortable while you wait for your container.  Aussie beds are generally longer which is handy too. We like Ikea mattresses but as RedPanda says there is always a sale somewhere. 

• Like 3

Thanks very much for the insights both of you! 

Edited by WayneAndMel

The haggling can take you by surprise - my Aussie friend even haggled over my toaster and kettle!! I was mortified, but she got a good discount.

Anything from an appliance store, always ask (nicely) for a discount. Anything from a potato store, no discount.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, DXB2OZ said:

The haggling can take you by surprise - my Aussie friend even haggled over my toaster and kettle!! I was mortified, but she got a good discount.

The old story of "..If you don't ask, you don't get..." applies :P

I think like everything it really depends on what quality you are looking for. You can get basic beds and mattresses fairly cheap here in Oz. There are all sorts of furniture stores doing deals, get loads of paper leaflets in the letter box each week which end up filling the recycling bin. Someone mentioned IKEA, but also check out Super Amart, Furniture galore, fantastic furniture. This will give you an idea of costs etc

If you are looking for Coricraft quality then ofcourse I would buy in SA.

For bedding buy in SA, bedding is extremely expensive here, you can pay 80 dollars for a queen duvet cover. Also buy some duvet's or doona's here. Unless you're moving to Darwin that is :-) I bought quite alot of bedding and sheets and also some Sherpa blankets.

I've just looked at the local (Springvale) Ikea, and they have linnen from $12.99 (120 thread count, yikes) to $29.99 (190 thread count, better), $40 (200 thread count) to $69 (310 thread count, now we're talking). I think the linen prices vary a lot depending on where you shop and what time of year you look. So if you are really good at bargain hunting in RSA, get your linen there, otherwise get enough to last you a while here, until you build up enough local knowledge to hunt the Aussie bargains. AFL and cricket might be the official national sports, but I'm telling you Bargain Hunting is the #1 unofficial sport! :D 

• Like 1

For linen it is always great to check out the sales at Harris Scarfe or Lincraft, they have 1000 thread count queen sheets, often at around $69 per set.

• Like 2