Teaching Qualification

Duggen

Question

Hi all,

My wife and I will be moving to Melbourne in two weeks on 457 visa. Given the uncertainties of the 457, I would like us to be in a position to apply for PR asap.

My wife currently has a masters degree and we are thinking that our best option is for her to do a teaching qualification to allow us to apply for PR.

This brings me to my question... there are two options for us to do this, either she can do a pgde from unisa or she can do the equivalent at an Australian institution. Could anyone give us any information in where she could do this in Australia and the kind of degree she would have to do?

Much appreciated!

3 answers to this question

Hi there! Being a teacher myself I would suggest doing an Aussie equivalent and not struggle with UNISA. A family member of mine just finished her B. ED. degree from UNISA.  She started in RSA and finished in Aus but had such a struggle to get her study material on time and she had to travel to certain cities to write exams. In Qld she had to write in Brisbane and had to fly and stay at her own expense. And the conmunication was a struggle as well.

I would definitely want an Aussie qualification behind my name than another South African one.

Sorry I don't have any info on where to do it but just have a look at the tertiary institutions in Melbourne and courses they offer. I am sure there will be something like that. Of course I haven't taken into account the costs involved so might be worth looking into.

My 2c worth...

Good luck!

Hi there! Being a teacher myself I would suggest doing an Aussie equivalent and not struggle with UNISA. A family member of mine just finished her B. ED. degree from UNISA.  She started in RSA and finished in Aus but had such a struggle to get her study material on time and she had to travel to certain cities to write exams. In Qld she had to write in Brisbane and had to fly and stay at her own expense. And the conmunication was a struggle as well.

I would definitely want an Aussie qualification behind my name than another South African one.

My 2c worth...

Good luck!

• Like 1

Yes, I'm a teacher too and would also recommend doing the Aussie qualification. Unfortunately though you will be paying foreign fees as you don't have PR. Also, not sure if UNISA will do a PGDE in Australia as how will they assess your teaching practise? 

Make sure you bring a letter from the place you studied your undergrad indicating that you did the entire degree in English. You will not be admitted to an Australia university without this or a valid IELTS (Academic version).

Good luck!