New Will/Testament in NSW

rozellem

A few months ago, a fellow formite's painful journey of losing her husband gave me a wake up call.  We were cruising along in Aus, but had no will, no plans in place for the kids, no lists of bank accounts and assets.  Our affairs were all over the show.  Today we went for our appointment with the NSW Government's "NSW Trustee & Guardian" in Sydney CBD.  http://www.tag.nsw.gov.au/wills-landing-page.html   They have a long list of places around Sydney and NSW were they have offices.  I dont know if other states do something similar.  It only took about 30 minutes out of my life.  This service is free till end of July, after which it will become $300.  They kept a copy for safekeeping and they asked how many copies we wanted and gave it to us.  I am surprised how relieved I felt afterwards.  

@greggle, hope this answers your questions. 

• Like 5

So happy you have done this.. YEHA!!!

On 6/29/2016 at 8:28 PM, rozellem said:

@greggle, hope this answers your questions. 

@rozellemThanks so much!! I will get the ball rolling immediately!

• Like 1

On 6/29/2016 at 9:46 PM, Mara said:

So happy you have done this.. YEHA!!!

Mara, I am also getting myself life insurance (connected to my Super), but while I am at it, I am actually looking to change to a new Super.  I know you have opinions on Super, any suggestions of ones I can look at?  Thanks.

• Like 1

I would always go for an industry fund and my favourite is Australian Super. When we originally came to Australia, I was advised by an Aussie to go with them... and in 17 years I have never been disappointed in having done so.

21 hours ago, rozellem said:

Mara, I am also getting myself life insurance (connected to my Super), but while I am at it, I am actually looking to change to a new Super.  I know you have opinions on Super, any suggestions of ones I can look at?  Thanks.

I am not a financial expert but watch out for industry super funds - from what I`ve read the service is sometimes horrendous.  For good advise on this visit the Whirlpool finance section (whirlpool.net.au/forum/150).  I am also busy arranging live insurance at the moment and the cost per $10k insurance is cheaper via a broker for me than it was in my Super fund. Might be worthwhile investigating. 

I am currently busy moving my super to Ing Direct super (I am building me own portfolio so that might be better options if you want them to do it all for you).  Also see Whirlpool for some good advice. 

Thank you for sharing

I'm a bit confused at the page, did you create a new will online and then they got in touch with you for an appointment or what was the process?

Which option did you use.

All I want is to create a new will and for them to keep it.

Also when you made your appointment, which option did you select (Will, Will Safe, Power of Attorney, Enduring Guardianship, Other)

We made an appointment to see them in the CBD. We made a will, they kept a copy in their will safe and we took two copies home with us.