A lion abroad

ChristiaanLion

Hello there.

My name is Christiaan, or you can just call me Chris.

I've decided that I can't really stay in wonderful SA any more.  Don't get me wrong, I want to but I cannot.  Not with politics and economy the way they are.

So I want to ask, where does one begin.  I've browsed the Embassy site for a bit and I've found plenty of articles pointing out to forms I need to fill in but I'm not sure where to start.

I heard there are tests I can write (I forgot the name of it) to get points. I'm aiming for a permanent residence Visa. Where do I go for all that?

I've tried digging around this forum for a bit and found that I'm rubbish at finding things.  Did you guys already make a topic about where to start?

Thanks in advance ^-^

• Like 2

Hi Christiaan, welcome to the new journey.

we are also in the beginning stages, I found this thread very helpful and a good place to start

You can use this link as a starter calculator for the points you have or will be able to obtain

https://www.acacia-au.com/skilled-migration-points-test.php

good luck and this is for sure the best place to get all the advice you need

Jo

Edited by HopefulJo

Hi, thanks for the update.

I had a peek at the Skilled Migration points test and according to it I meet Nominated Subclass 190 minimum requirements. so that's cool I guess.  But its just a speculation at this point.

I've also had a look at the 100 steps. this will help. Thank you.  I'll take some time this weekend and next week to start work on those.

Hi Chris and welcome!

What is your occupation? This will have the biggest impact on what visa you could qualify for.

and type in your occupation into the search bar, this will tell you if you could qualify for the 189 or 190 Permanent Resident visa.

I'm a software Engineer.

My degree is Honours BSc in Information Technology.

I studied at UJ where my Degree is accredited with the British Computer Society (BCS). only catch is I need 2 years of work experience before I can get accreditation so that only will happen next year January.

Ok so you're in the right occupation then. Software engineer/develop is on the list for the 189 Permanent Residency visa, which will allow you to work anywhere in Australia! First step will be to get assessed as a Software Engineer through ACS.

Link to ACS: https://www.acs.org.au/migration-skills-assessment

You will also need to pass the English test, either the IELTS or through PearsonVue.

More info on the English tests here:

Hey man thanks for the quick update.

I took a look on the site and the same result came up.

Now, I can work with a 189 visa in Australia but what is fine print in all this?  Can the government kick me out for any reason? How long could I work for?  Cause I want to kinda stay there.  Do I need to find a way to get 190?

Hey Chris,

The 189 is the Holy Grail of visas. The 190 is similar to the 189 except that you are obligated to work in a specific state for 2 years. So no point in applying for that if you can get the 189.

There is no fine print. The only reason I can imagine Australia throwing you out for would be if you lie on you application or submit fraudulent documents to obtain a visa and they find out once you've landed. Also if you decide to join ISIS or something, they might frown upon things like that.

The Permanent Residency visa is just that, permanent! You can work for any company in any State with absolutely no restrictions. You can stay as long you like. After 3 or 4 years you can also apply for citizenship.

• Like 2

oh, then I was reading that one website like a moron. thank you sir

1 hour ago, DavePE said:

The 189 is the Holy Grail of visas.

Yip, its that all right. You can obtain it as a IT geek and once here you can become a yoga instructor for all they care. ? Its given on the likelyhood of you staying in your profession. We arrived on one of them. Also known as the Golden Ticket. 

What i saw on the news is that permanent residency can be revoked if you are jailed for more than 12 months and don't have citizenship yet. Once you obtain citizenship even that doesn't matter anymore.

Hi @ChristiaanLion, welcome to the forum! Have a look here for my take on what's required to get a 189/190 visa (I'm also in IT, by the way). Have you figured out what your points score would be yet?

Its estimated I might get a score of 60.  But that might change since I'm not sure how my degree carries over since its accredited by the UK.  I'll see what it turns out to be once I get hold of my university.  With my former department burnt down its been hard to get a hold of them

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/07/2016 at 7:40 AM, ChristiaanLion said:

Its estimated I might get a score of 60.  But that might change since I'm not sure how my degree carries over since its accredited by the UK.  I'll see what it turns out to be once I get hold of my university.  With my former department burnt down its been hard to get a hold of them

Hi Christiaan,

I assume you studied at RAU/UJ.  I recently went through the ACS process with my RAU BSc IT and Honours in Computer Science and they definitely accept it.  What do you need from the university? 

5 hours ago, ChrisH said:

Hi Christiaan,

I assume you studied at RAU/UJ.  I recently went through the ACS process with my RAU BSc IT and Honours in Computer Science and they definitely accept it.  What do you need from the university? 

Hi Chris,

My accreditation apparently (last time I checked) requires 2 years work experience.  I'm 6 months out so I want to see if I can twist some arms to see if I can write the accreditation early in some way