Unmarried - Dependant Surname Issue?

Swaartbaard

Question

Hi all,

So we're knee deep in the relocation process to Sydney!

In all likelihood i'll be going to Sydney first to settle in, then my fiance and our 2 month old will be joining us a few weeks later.

Now, we're unmarried and our son has my surname (so we don't need to change his when we do eventually get married).

Anyone know if this is an issue i.e my fiance being unable to leave SA or enter Oz if her's and our sons surnames don't match? Might it be easier to quickly marry in court, to ease out paperwork?

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

Marriage and names are not the issue here. Anyone travelling with kids have to prove their relationship with the child and have an affidavit from the parent(s) not present. Google travelling with kids to and from RSA or go on to the South African High Commission's (in Canberra) website and get your paperwork in order. Your child will need an unabridged birth cert too, so depending on how long that takes to be innsued, mom and baby's travel dates might have to be pushed back. Hope not! I had no issues travelling alone with my kids after ticking all the boxes required above, and I chose to stick with the full name my parents gave me at birth, despite marrying someone with his own name. Yip, Sydney welcomes all sorts of crazy. ?

• Like 1