diesel or petrol

WayneAndMel

Hi All,

please can you shed some light in terms of Diesel vehicles or Petrol vehicles. In RSA you wouldnt buy a Diesel if you wanted to go into africa but could do petrol. Is this not relevent in Aus and both are good options?

This all depends on what vehicle you're getting. The days of diesel being the cheap fuel are gone. Diesels are also generally a bit more expensive to run in terms of services, etc. You do get more km's to the tank in a diesel but then diesel has become quite expensive so you're not gaining much. If you're getting a 4x4, I'd suggest that you go diesel as petrol versions re usually thirsty. If you're getting a normal car I'd say go petrol. Even large sedans can run pretty economical if driven sensibly. I had a Holden Commodore which had a 4lt V6 engine but when driven not faster than 100km/h (remember that your average speed limit here is 100km/h) on the open road I would get 7.5-8lt/100km. Town driving would be about the 10lt/100km mark. My two 4x4's are both 3l diesels and have the same fuel consumption as the Commodore but then they have to get serviced more often, ie more expensive. Personally, for a first vehicle, I would get a normal petrol car especially if you're staying in or around a city. The only reason I have two 4x4's is because the one is for going camping (which I do a lot of) and the other one is for going to work (off the main roads) otherwise I would be getting a large, comfortable, petrol sedan and a small petrol run-about. In terms of availability of the 2 fuels, both are readily available all over Aus although prices can vary hugely. Cities are sometimes more expensive than servo's in the middle of nowhere and vise versa.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Diesel is more expensive than petrol but you get further with it, so in the long run it is more economical.  You can get diesel everywhere in Australia - there are trucks and road trains on our roads allover the country 24/7

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Riekie said:

You can get diesel everywhere in Australia - there are trucks and road trains on our roads allover the country 24/7

Around bigger towns and cities, yes, but further out in the country you may struggle to get 24hr fuel. I normally take a couple of jerry cans with me when heading out west.

• Like 1