Stuck on getting started

MJ2

Question

Hi guys,

I'm sorry if this question has been asked too many times.

I would like to know if a person is qualified in a trade (Boilermaker), where they can have their trades assessed and accredited?

Also, where do you start with the immigration process and on which website do you apply?

Can everything be done online or should it be paper-based?

What are the necessary documents needed to start the application? 

Are there any agencies that you would suggest in assisting with the immigration process as well as job hunting? 

Thank you so much for your assistance.

Regards

Michelle

4 answers to this question

Note I have no knowledge what a boilermaker does neither am a migration agent but this is how I will go about it. (This may help others)

The first thing is start by looking at what jobs gets advertised on Seek. This is to see if your job title get used in Aus - and it does. Most jobs noted as metal plate / welding trade related.

Then check how do you get qualified as a boilermaker and courses in Aus: Certificate III in Engineering (Fabrication – Heavy and Light) It states that this is your ticket to becoming a boilermaker or metal fabricator. View the qualification framework:

https://training.gov.au/TrainingComponentFiles/MEM05/MEM30305_R4.pdf

Does your qualification and trade relate to that - do gap analysis. Hopefully its a close fit!

Now check it for related occupations you can get a visa for:

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/SOL

Check the SOL list for related occupations and who will do the assessment:

Sheetmetal Trades Worker    322211    TRA
Metal Fabricator    322311    TRA

Check the CSOL list for related occupations and who will do assessment:

Metal Fitters and Machinists nec    323299    TRA

Understand the difference between the two lists and under what circumstance you can apply.

The next step is to approach TRA and see how they will assess you under those occupations and how well you align

http://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/PathFinder/Pages/Offshore-Skills-Assessment-Program-Table.aspx

Because Boilermaker is not listed and you want to go for a related occupation 

http://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/Programs/Migration/Documents/33.%20TRA%20MSA%20Applicant%20Guidelines%20V9.0.pdf

Now check how big is the gap between the listed occupations and your trade qualifications. You must get the skills assessment criteria.

Based on your self assessment decide to spend the $$ for the TRA assessment.

Do all the homework before you approach TRA - they wont make a decision for you.

Hope it helps!

Edited by ottg
  • Like 1

@MichelleJames Hi Michelle and welcome!

There are two highly recommended agents on this forum, who kindly answer a lot of questions that our members have. Many have used their services, and I am sure you would be happy with either of them.

@TeeTMI Tee Taylor of Taylor Made Immigration

and

@SD_MOA Stephen Dickson of Migration Outcomes Australia

Then the following old post may give you some great in site.  Some of the information may be a little dated, but overall it still makes for great reading.

• Like 2

@Mara and @ottg Thank you both very much from the bottom of my heart. These replies are extremely helpful in the process. I will pay meticulous detail when reading through them again and familiar myself with the process. Thank you both once again. I really do appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.