'Cheap' eats in Sydney or even NSW

Hi all,

Any recommendations on excellent places to grab a spot of lunch or an early dinner? Either sit-down or takeaway, but some interesting, memorable places with 'soul'? I'm not entirely sure what classifies as 'cheap' for a lunch, for example? $15, $20, $25? per person, including a non-alcoholic drink? Some help with an idea of costs would be great.

Also, I can't recall from my previous two trips a while back. Is it customary to tip for service or is this included as a service charge?

I'm also interested to hear about anywhere further afield, e.g. a pie stop on the side of the road :)

Thanks!

KirstenT,

I think you're going to have to define soul?

For me soul is the love that goes into the food, for others it's the ambiance/atmosphere etc.

There is cheap and inexpensive, cheap is +$10-$15, inexpensive is $25-$30.

"Cheap" for me is street food, great little hot spots where you can grab delicious, flavour packed food for a song.

Here are a few of my favourites:

Japanese? For Ramen the two winners are Ichi-ban Boshi in The Galeries (ate there today) and Menya in Market Street.

I love the Tokyo Ramen Ichi-ban Boshi and at Menya and if you want something a little heavier do the chef's recommendation of the Hakata Tonkotsu Ramen. David Chang, one of the worlds Top 10 chefs of New York's Momofuku fame says the best Ramen he's had in Sydney is at Menya, and he knows a thing or two about Ramen.

Vietnamese? The Pho at Bo 7 Mon Thanh Tam in Market Street is amazing - a clear, crisp broth with bones slow cooked for over 8 hours, served with fresh Viet basil and sprouts.

Korean? Also in Market City head over to the Asagao and grab the Bibimbap, it's their winner and the best I've had outside of New York/New Jersey (most of my friends there are Korean so I've had the best that K-Town has to offer including Anthony Bourdain's favourite spot).

You HAVE to try the Emperors Puffs at the hole in the wall near Emperors Garden in Chinatown/Haymarket.

Taiwanese? My favourite pick-me-up when I'm in the City at night is Hot Star Chicken in Liverpool Street. Get the Hot, it'll put some hair on your chest.

Burger? Best I've had is the "Blame Canada" burger at Bar Luca, a 200g wagyu beef pattie, maple glazed streaky bacon, American cheddar, poutine & maple aioli, wash it down with a Stone & Wood Pale Ale.

The best pies in Sydney, Bourke Street Bakery, not just according to me, take it from the world's #1's chef Rene Redzepi of NOMA in Copenhagen. My favourite is the Pork & Fennel Sausage Rolls, or Kransky Hotdog, washed down with a Flat White and a Rhubarb or Pear Danish.

While there head over to Messina for some of the finest Gelato around.

RE tipping, not, not necessary, having one of the highest min wages means tipping is not necessary.

Bear in mind this is cheap/inexpensive, most sit down places, once you add a glass of wine and share 2-3 courses is going to run you $50 per person, so trying to give you options that offer the best value for money in my book.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 4

@AFreshStart thanks for all this info. This is great.

I think I have the same conception of 'soul' as you, yes, so a soulful place can also be very no-frills and rather shabby, even.

Street food is very much in line with what I'm thinking of, and more on the 'cheap' side as you categorised it: probably something one can order and walk along with.

• 1 month later...

If you are looking for food on the runor quick sit down, please read on...

I love to grab something from Subway. It is quick and always delicious. Mostly below $10

Hungry Jacks has this Supa Stunner, which is also not bad, if you are into hamburgers and chips. R5.95 gets you hamburger, chips. 3 chicken nuggets, drink and a mini ice cream.

Coles and Aldi also has made sandwiches, ranging from $3-$6.

These are cheap stops, but I love it.