189 visa timelines & pregnancy

OzAdventureTime

Question

Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine, who is going through the visabprocess, asked me to post the question below. Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

"We applied for our 189 visa on my husbands name in Nov15 with 60 points. He's a plumber. We got a CO on the a few days later, they asked for more docs a few days after that which we submitted to them mid Dec. 

We have now almost been waiting 7 months for our visa and all of our friends and so many other have got theirs so quickly!

We have sent status updates to immi and keep just getting general replies like its undergoing further assessment and they can't give a time line on when it will be finalised. I called them and they said basically the same and they can't see that anything is outstanding. We do have an agent but doesn't seem like anymore can be done and I wanted to speak to someone else to get advice.

How much longer could we perhaps wait?

We found out we are pregnant with our second child just over 2 months ago so fell pregnant after the application was submitted and I'm not sure if im supposed to tell immi. If we tell them will they speed up the visa so we can have the baby there or will they delay the visa and make us have the baby here?

Thank you"

7 answers to this question

The baby will probably have no connection to anything to do with the visa. If the baby is born in RSA then the baby would first have to be added to the visa (if they have already received it).

It's a hard one.  Australia really looks after kids. Also,  the health care system is really good for pregnant mums.  The health care system is very different; but they run classes with other expectant mums and explain everything and give you several opportunities to ask questions. 

But having said that,  if their VISA came through tomorrow,  that gives them seven months to pack up,  leave and have a baby is a bit much.  

But leaving for Aussie with a bub under a year old might be even harder. 

In a way,  they are lucky that it  comes down to the Aussie government as to when they can leave. 

Edited by monsta

She's due mid Nov15 and just sold their house so need to be out there end Aug and can fly latest mid Sep. She's trying to figure out whether informing immi will speed up the visa or delay it and if they should look for another place to live here in the mean time

I would speak to their Agent (do they have an agent)? Technically the baby will be added to the visa once born only and she may need permission to fly at that late stage in the pregnancy. I always think (when it comes to Aus) to rather inform and ask the questions then get caught out on a technicality at a later stage...

Look, immi does get inundated with requests. Its just not possible for them to answer every little question you have. 

But I think they would want to explain how and when they should notify the them of a change in their situation. 

I would start by giving the high commission in Pretoria a call and see if they can help. But, just in case always start the conversations with, "I am a permanent resident who holds a xxx VISA. I would like to know... "    it just separates you from the callers who begin, "I am looking for who I must speak about job Australia... I am reading your website and there are many big words which make difficult for, to understand... "

Edited by monsta

I was preganat with my second son at the time of our application. We got our intention approved within 4 days. We then where asked for specific things like the medicals and police clearnace. i couldnt do the medicals as firstly i couldnt get a chest Xray and then once i had, had my son we couldnt do the urine tests. We added our son to the application, once we got his birth certificate, which was a one page and no extra costs and then had to wait 6 weeks for bleeding to stop before i could do that medicals as you dont want blood in the urine.

We did the blood tests specifically for my 2 year old as the process was quicker and less invasive as apposed to the skin test to test for TB. We got accepted about 3 weeks later and all 4 of us got through easily.

I was able to email my CO directly and she was great with getting back to me. I didn't hassle her, but had issues with my PC that she was prepared to respond to. Check your email from CO and try and email back? It's very frustrating being in limbo