Cellphone options

Snapper

Hi, 

My wife is going over for a week. She is on a prepaid phone package and roaming does not seem to be a option. 

Can she buy a prepaid sim upon arrival to use for the duration of her stay. Is there any similar FICA requirements? 

I bought a Vodaphone sim at the airport while waiting for my connecting flight. Just used my passport (and maybe my hotel address, don't think i even had to show proof of that)

We bought Amaysim cards, don't think we needed anything... cheapest deal we could find for 1GB data, and optional $10 talk/sms. We got them on our activation trip, then fed them up once from home to keep them 'alive', and a day before we came over permanently we loaded them up again. (one year after initial purchase) Worked a charm. I have heard some people say that you need to check whether you will have reception with Amaysim. I don't know how to do this. But we stayed around Melbourne, and have had no issues so far.

Hi @Snapper, I've used Telstra prepaid SIMs twice before and it's very quick and easy. You can just go into any Telstra store and ask for a prepaid package with SIM (I got 5 GB of data for $50 last year). You'll need your passport for proof of ID, but that's it. I was up and running in 10 minutes (beat that, Vodacom). Remember to bring along a paperclip or SIM eject tool if you have a phone whose SIM card can be tricky to eject (e.g. iPhone).

Edited by FrodoBeanbaggins
  • Like 1