Moving to Perth

Sol1

Dear All,

We currently live in Melbourne, and whilst this city has grown on us, I have been offered a job in Perth which I have accepted. Therefore, we will be moving to Perth in 3 weeks time.

Can anyone who live in and around Perth suggest any decent area to stay in which is within a 20-30 minute drive radius to my work, and which has nice schools (Kindergarten), parks etc.

My circumstances is that I will be working in Subiaco and I have a 4 year old child.

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

Best regards

Edited by Sol1

I don't live in Perth but I have looked at this as well. The general opinion is that you can't go wrong with any area falling in the corridor between the sea and the Mitchell Freeway (north of the Swan river).

• Like 1

Hi Sol1,

We are in similar circumstances - been in Melbourne for 13 years. Hubby has been offered a good opportunity in WA and for financial reasons mainly (but the sea and sunshine doesn't hurt :P), all going to plan, we'll be heading out in December - once the kids have finished their respective school years.

We've done a rec trip out, and decided on NOR, as the kids will be at school in City Beach - from what we saw, we think Wembley, Trigg and Gwelup. 

All the best with the move

• Like 1

Thankyou for the replies.I found out that the office I will be working in will be in Canning Vale, the Subiaco office is just for consults. This is good news as I can look at rentals in Canning Vale which are quite affordable and I will no longer have to travel an hour to work like I do in Melbourne. Gosnells and Willeton are also nearby so it gives me a few options. If anyone has any feedback on these areas like which would be better for schools etc that would be great to hear from you.

Willeton over Gossies any day! ,but more expensive generally speaking. totally irrelevant but Gosnells does have a great golf course!

thinking very far ahead, Willeton has a very good high school.......

• 1 month later...

Interesting  Mel-B, Sol1 and Shellfish all leaving Melbourne for Perth. Does that mean the job market in WA is picking up?

7 hours ago, OubaasDik said:

Does that mean the job market in WA is picking up?

Simple question but complex observations. My thoughts:

I believe that saffers have mostly "high in demand skills" and "above average skills" that is why they got residency status in the 1st place.

The person with the best resume gets the interview and therefor the opportunity to sell themselves best AND not necessarily the person that has the best skills will get the job.

The person that is prepared to move where the job get advertised is the one most likely getting the job. That said combined with the 2 previous statements then its most likely those people will be found/seen on this website :)

The facts are that WA has a decline in job vacancies, increase in rental vacancy rate, decline in house prices & yield etc as they are all interrelated.

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/6354.0Main Features2May 2016?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=6354.0&issue=May 2016&num=&view= (The Roy Morgan report will show a worse picture)

http://business.nab.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/2016-07-Forecasts.pdf

I left WA and I am in IT, I can confirm that for most industries the market is dropping. My rental there dropped from over 500 down to 400/week. I consider them lucky to have offers but am not suprised, Saffers are a talented lot and make good employees for the most part. I do feel though for those without work, I have rowed that boat twice now for extended periods in WA which prompted my exit stage left to Brisbane.

The role that my husband will be undertaking will involve technical skills and advise in Asia as his company has expanded. It will head out of Perth because of comparable time and location. So, this is not really due to increase in market in Perth although there has been a little 'pick up' there too. 

• Like 2

Good to hear SHellfish, I can see why he has been selected. Asia is THE market to target.