Approaching the 18 month mark!!

Crossedover

It's a cold and rainy early winters day here in Sydney and we have just returned from our second house auction... unsuccessful auction. BUT despite being surrounded by washing that has not seen the sunshine to dry this week I can honestly say I have NO regrets!!!

Yes it took my husband 5 months to get a job and yes I still have a casual job but we are really beginning to feel like we are becoming part of the community. Having been here for nearly 18 months we are beginning to do things for the second time and that makes things a whole lot easier. School sports days are no longer totally unfamiliar and different approaches to things are now feeling more familiar. I can drive to most local places without a GPS and when people talk about places I can nod honestly...he he he!

I can navigate the local shopping mall a whole lot easier and I am beginning to really let go of having to have my South African brand of "x". I know which local shops stock SA goodies and I am happy to pay $3 for a pack of tennis biscuits to make my favourite recipes. 

We hardly convert anymore and to be honest when I go to Woolies (South Africa) online to buy something for my friends back home I am taken aback when I see the SA prices. Things are not as  scarily  expensive here is I thought when we first arrived. Housing prices here in Sydney are TOTALLY SCARY however. But 18 months in we are beginning to look at places which we never thought we would be able to do... so once you are earning $'s things do change.

What do we love...

We love the absolute, amazing beauty of this incredible city. Even CT can't match it... and I never thought I would say that!!

Never feeling unsafe and never being concerned about your stuff. Really!

The amazing sports facilities in every suburb. Great parks everywhere!

I love seeing the independence of the elderly, makes me feel more comfortable of what life will be like for me in 30 + years.

The freedom my kids have, they catch the bus to and from school, having never caught a bus in SA.

We love the fact that when people ask how you are they are actually waiting to hear your response and will probably remember you next time they see you...wow!!

Our biggest blessings here is our kids school and our church.

We were government school families in SA and here after looking around a bit our girls just landed, unintentionally, up at a 'reasonably priced' Christian school here in Sydney and with us both working it is not killing us to keep them there.

If my kids were younger I would not hesitate to send them to the local government primary schools here on the Northern Beaches.

The beaches are gorgeous and the ice-cream is expensive but amazing!!!

What do we not like...

The commuting robs us of family time, but to be fair we both worked minutes from our home in Durban so any commuting is foreign to both of us.

The housework is a thankless task that NEVER ends and my kids are not good helpers as I don't jump up and down enough! Thats my fault.

Kiss your nannies and give them a lovely bonus!!!! Actually just give them an extra R50 one day just to make them smile... trust me they are worth it... even if the sugar flies out the door!!Co

We hate that we have left our friends and community back in SA... it really is the biggest downside in my mind.  Parents find a way to visit but friends... not sure when we will get to see them again. And my friends were just my sanity!!

We hate seeing news about SA... once you have been here 5 minutes and the veils drop from your eyes you realise just how un-normal our lives were in SA .

Is it hard... oh yes it is!!! Is it worth it?... I have no regrets. would I do it again... absolutely. 

But you have to arrive with a 'no going back' attitude and you have to make it work.

I don't feel we would go back and visit just yet.... but I would love to.

What should you bring... as little as possible... honestly!!!!!! Costumes, takkies and black school shoes!! :)  

What do I miss most... places where we went on holiday actually!!! The Berg and the Midlands... :) and CT!!

Shout if I can help in anyway xx

• Like 13

Thanks for the great post! Sitting in South Africa only a short way into the visa process there are moments of fear that crop up amongst the excitement, and reading posts like this help to calm those 'what if it doesn't work out' moments that pop into the head every now and then. So thanks for sharing!

thanks fr the positive piece. It sounds like heaven to me. You guys

amazing

Thankyou for your post Crossedover. We are just 8 months into our life here in Oz and although in Melbourne I can completely agree with all the above.Here is to the next 18 months for you and hoping everyday gets better and better :-)

Thanks everyone....? An incredible leap of faith but worth every obstacle. Just don't look back. Remember SA fondly but do your best not to doubt your decision. Everyday we realize how fortunate we are... Chores "and all"!? All the best to all of you heading across the sea...??