Family Tax benefit

KirstyS

Gosh it's been forever since I have been on the forum. 

I am wondering if there is anyone here that has recently gone through claiming for family tax benefits that could help me. My internet time is limited so can't do all the searches I want to to reaching out here. 

I work but my husband is now into his fourth month of trying to find work. We are getting w little desperate now and have been told we could have applied for this benefit ages ago. 

I undertaand its when one person is working and the other isn't and we would need to submit my incomes and the income we had in SA. But that is where I am not sure. How do we work out in $'s. What rate do we take? Do we ask for fortnightly payments - will we forfeit all the time until now? 

Any help and tips would be appreciated.

Use this to quickly calculate if you qualify for anything:

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/online-estimators

Then go to a Centrelink office and do all the paperwork etc.  They can also advise you on your options for payments etc.

There is also assistance regarding your rent:

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/claiming-rent-assistance

You can do it all in the one go when you go to centrelink.

Hi KirstyS,

You've not provided information as to how old your kids are, how many you have etc, all of which is taken into account when considering FTB.

Also know that there are changes to the family tax benefit that come into play 1st July. So for example it your youngest child is 13-years or older, they will no longer be eligible for FTB. There will also be no Large Family Payments etc.

FTB is means tested and based on several criteria including income. There are two sets, A & B.

As Riekie shared, your best bet it to check on-line, or send your hubby to Centerlink and have him investigate the options open to you with a clerk.

Cheers

Matt