Drivers license on validation trip

JackoFam

We are coming over for our validation/LSD trip and will need to rent a car for part of the trip. Will we need an international drivers license or will our SA licenses be OK?

Also we will be in Melbourne for 4 days and are planning on staying in a pretty central area as 2 out of 3 of the my husbands job interviews are in the CBD. The 3rd is in an area called Notting Hill. Do you think we will need to hire a car in Melbourne? I am hoping we wont need the car partly to keep costs down as well as the hassle of parking in the city.

Hey,

You don't need an international drivers license, unless your license isn't in English.

You should use Google maps to work out if the public transport will be good enough. But you need to tell it

1) Exactly where A and where B is

2) Exactly when you want to go

3) Exactly when you want to come back ( you might leave after the last bus ).

I would also bet that parking in the CBD is going to cost a lot. In Sydney, parking all day in the CBD is at least $30. They do that to force you onto public transport.

But often a hybrid approach is good, i.e. rent a car and drive to the nearest train station.

Thanks @monsta That's exactly how I figured out the bus route from our potential airbnb place to the interview. So it should be OK. He could also just get an uber.

Luckily we have done some travelling so are used to figuring out public transport systems in foreign countries - having the signs in English will help a lot. :D

Hey @JackoFam

I would recommend using trains and trams instead of the bus. In my opinion busses are the slowest and least comfortable public transport. Also once in the city all trams are free (if your journey starts and ends within the city)

Notting Hill looks pretty far from the city but also easily accessible by train. You definitely won't need to hire a car to get around easily.

Enjoy your trip to this beautiful city and prepare to fall in love with it!

Cheers

• Like 1