Bringing electrical appliances over

Theshi

We are busy selling our household goods and there are some sentimental appliances that we do not want to sell e.g. Microwave,

cappuccino  maker,slow cooker, pressure cooker that we got as wedding gifts, my question is, if we bring them over, will we be able to use them, are South African electrical appliances compatible /useable in Australian households or do we need to get adaptors of some sort?

Yes no problem - you'll obviously will have to convert the SA plugs to Aussie plugs, or bring lots of adapter plugs :)

Just consider warranties etc - as some of our products were not covered over here (our Samsung TV decided to give up after being here a year, and the Samsung warranty didn't cover us in Australia (interestingly, not because I put an Aussie plug on (which will void the warranty anyway), but because it wasn't purchased in Australia). So just be mindful of that - if it breaks over here, can't take it back to Game / Dion Wired etc!

Thanks @MartinK2409 , by adapter plugs do you mean from round plug to square plug adapter? does Oz use Square plugs?  Sorry about your TV, we'll have to sell ours this side.

23 minutes ago, Theshi said:

Thanks by adapter plugs do you mean from round plug to square plug adapter.

Australia use a three pin plug. The pins are flat blades. Check for images on Google. You'll only need adapters (SA plugs to Aus plugs)for items like wall chargers where you can't change the plugs. For the other appliances you can buy plugs from Bunnings (Hardware store) and change them yourself.

Edited by Peterthe1
Added detail
  • Like 2

Australia uses Chinese plugs.  ANZ had an advert ivert where "the mentalist"  was waiting for a plane to China.  Someone next to him was vretting because they did the have a travel adapter.  The mentalist calmly told her not to stress :)

And yes,  just like Thor and Wolverine,  Simon Baker who plays "the mentalist"  in the TV show is an Australian. 

Edited by monsta
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2016 at 8:02 PM, Peterthe1 said:

Australia use a three pin plug. The pins are flat blades. Check for images on Google. You'll only need adapters (SA plugs to Aus plugs)for items like wall chargers where you can't change the plugs. For the other appliances you can buy plugs from Bunnings (Hardware store) and change them yourself.

7 months later and I am still finding appliances that I have to change the plugs on. But I enjoy a trip to Bunnings so don't mind heading that way.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, greggle said:

But I enjoy a trip to Bunnings so don't mind heading that way.

Going to Bunnings is great. The time you realise all the stuff you need is when you get there. I'm not allowed to go there unsupervised anymore as I normally come back with a carload full of stuff.

• Like 3

I'm still using some of my South African appliances 12 years on....  Just change the plugs when you get here.

Aussie plugs look like this and you can find them at any Bunnings - even Kmart, Target or BigW should have them. 

http://www.iec.ch/worldplugs/typeI.htm