Visa prior to job

Question

Hi all,

I've been contacting some recruitment agencies in Aus and I see that some of them require a valid working visa prior to being able to assist. What visa could I look at getting for this? If it helps I am a qualified Industrial / Product Designer with +- 2.5years experience in the field.

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

Within the Skilled Stream of Visas there are Employer Sponsored and Skilled Independent visas. 

Within the employer sponsored visas you would need to fine an eligible / willing employer to sponsor your application, as you have seen these opportunities can be difficult to find.   Depending upon the visa type there can be pros and cons.

Within the Skilled Independent visas you are looking at the 189/190/489 visas (these visas are also points assessed e.g.  http://www.taylormadeimmigration.com/PointsCalculator).  You would need to meet the expectations of one of the occupations on the skills in demand lists e.g. SOL/CSOL and would require a positive skills assessment, eligibility and options may depend upon your experience/qualifications. 

The Skilled Independent Visas that would provide you with a visa that permitted you to work in Australia.

You are welcome to drop me a line, my email is below.

Edited by TeeTMI

Am I right in saying that only occupations on the SOL list qualify for a Skilled Independent visa?

My career (Industrial Designer) is on the CSOL list, but the skilled independent visa always seems to refer to the shorted SOL list

I think that means you can get sponsored by a state or territory. 

Basically,  your skill is not in demand Australia wide.  So,  you will have to live in a certain state or territory for an initial period where your skills are in demand. 

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/CSOL