Curious to learn

Husky

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all sharing your experiences so openly. It gives one a sense of hope and comfort.

My husband and I are in the midst of applying for a 190 PR visa, hoping for sponsorship from Victoria. Have done a lot of research and am constantly reading, googling and listening to stories and advice from those who have made it happen. Already falling in love with Melbourne. 

Although I am trying to be patient and do trust our agent, there are 2 pressing questions I would love to have your insight on .... Please.

1. Our kids are 17 and 12. My 17 year old daughter will be going into grade 12 next year. Has anyone made the move with an older child and if so, how did they adjust/ cope with the Australian education standards? Are there any Damelin type institutions or home schooling options in Victoria?

2. My husband and I are both qualified with over 15 years experience in our respective fields. He is an electronic engineer and I am in Training/ HR. We understand that we should be open to job opportunities at any level. Our preference is that at least 1 of us have a job before making the final move. My question is, do we start applying for jobs now before our visa is approved or wait? What are our chances of securing employment before arriving in Australia? 

Thank you again for all the advice and support.

H

Husky,

My daughter was 16 when we moved, and started Grade 11 in Australia, and is currently in matric (year 12). We found it easy in some ways, hard in others, especially in that the way they examine here is different from SA. Also, we found that in certain subjects, like Chemistry, the level of lab work they'd done in SA was very basic compared to what they do here (and my daughter was in a top private school in SA, and still it was hard). Here they chose their subjects for year 11 and 12, not 10,11 and 12 like in SA. So it would be good if you had her here for years 11 and 12, as a lot of knowledge from year 11 is assumed for year 12. If not, I would seriously consider having her re-do year 11. Either way, if she is academic and wants to do well, you might have to get her a tutor her in her final year. The competition can be pretty fierce for entrance in some uni courses. On the up side, there are other pathways of getting into uni if one does not make it into the desired course, which is great. It might take a little longer, but it's possible. 

Thank you @Pell 

How well did she integrate in the school Ito fitting in and making friends? Having our kids settled and happy is our main concern. 

@Husky , my daughter had no problem at all integrating at school or making friends. It helps that she has innate people skills (more than some adults I know), and people just love her, just like they did in SA. Kids are very inclusive and supportive here at school. I was more worried about the academic angle, even though my daughter was good academically in SA, That being said, it is hard to move with a 17 year old, who will leave everything that she knows behind, her best friends of a lifetime, a successful career in showjumping etc. etc. We had tears and drama every day til school started, and by and large, the first year is tough on them. The second year generally sees them more settled, and that is our case. Perhaps it's also because this year it's the HSC (matric), and it's full steam ahead with tests, exams and assessments, and little time to wallow.

We arrived in Dec, my son was 2 months away from turning 17 and my daughter 15.  Neither were very keen on coming so we asked them to give it 6 months/1 year and if they didnt like it we would return home.  The minute school started they settled.  They love it here and made friends within weeks of starting school. They both now have very busy social lives, have been welcomed with open arms and are well intergrated into the school system.  I am amazed at how quickly and how well they settled.  We made sure that if they were invited somewhere that we were available to take them and I was happy to be the person that did the lifting for everyone if necessarry.

They still miss their friends back in Cape Town and are really looking forward to their trip back to visit but they have embraced Australia and can see all the opportunities this country has to offer them. 

They were my biggest concern about leaving but honestly they really do settle so easily. 

• Like 1