Newbies

SABokkie

Husband and I decided that it was time.  (Of course lots of doubts still goes around in our minds though)

Short history... We are both just over 40 with no kids, him in Engineering and me in IT, both with degrees.

We have only just decided... so everything is still brand new.

Thank you so much for all the contributors on this forum, the wealth of knowledge is beyond valuable.  Only way that I can think of saying thank you is to hopefully be able to pay it forward one day.

We haven't yet decided where to go... think it will depend on job availability.  But for now our focus is squarely on the Visa process only (189).

So first thing is booking the IELTS tests. 

Then this week still all the unabridged certificates and police clearance.

So far Ive got one question.  My husband's degree, from Tukkies, is in Afrikaans.  What needs to be done in order to do get this in the correct language / format?

Mine is from Unisa, so I would think that would be ok?

I would like to end this post with something like "see you on the other side", but its not going to happen that soon lol  :)

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your journey.  We all basically started where you are now and here we are, happily living in Australia and paying it forward.  It's not always an easy road but it is worth every single bit of frustration, anxiety, anticipation, fear, emotion, and every tear!

All documents need to be translated into English - I think there is actually a whole thread on it - maybe someone else can point you to it (or you could use the search function).  From memory, it has to be done by an approved/accredited translator.  The fact that the course was in Afrikaans, is no issue - it's just the document that needs to be in English.

See you this side... :)

Hi SABokkie

The agents we are using submitted by degree in Afrikaans from Tukkies as is for my application. My transcripts were in English though

Are you using an agent or doing it yourself?

Kind regards

Jo

@SABokkie, the company that supplies the academic transcripts for Tukkies will give you a copy of his degree in English, the company is called MIE (www.mie.co.za), and does all the transcripts for the University of Pretoria.  Good luck with your journey.

@Jaws :) thank you so much for this info!  That's exactly what I was hoping and looking for :)

Hello everyone.lm new.me nd my husband are looking at immigrating any time soon.just finished paying for visa monies and doing m edicals.waiting for case officer and response.lm a secondary school teacher.majored in accounting and business studies.going on 489 coz my hubby is an artisan. Going to dubbo .now.any advice.thankyou

Update:

Tomorrow morning is unabridged certificate time.  Marriage and Births.

We are pushing on with this "thing", but I am constantly asking myself, why would anyone immigrate with no children?  Most family and friends go due to a better future for the kids.... but we cant justify moving for the kids like they can.  In SA we are doing well financially... double income salary workers with no kids and no bond / debt.  Will we be starting from scratch?  So many questions...

It would be more than awesome if I could have a "chat" with someone in Oz that has been through a similar experience as the one we are facing.

Sigh.... why cant big decisions like these not be made for us lol :)

We did it for more than one reason. Future for our kids was just one of them. Others were safety, 1st world living, new adventure, failing Rand, political instability, retirement options, our future. We wanted to experience life a bit more than we were doing. We both have great jobs in SA, nice house, nice cars, nice income but we want to live a little. We also early 40s. Now is the time. Go for it. 

Yes we do it for the kids, but also for ourselves. I realy think that living here in SA comes with a certain amount of stress that you get so use to that you don't even realise that you carry it until you live in a different, less stressed environment and one day (in Aus) you breathe in and breathe out and you realise that you carry less weight on your shoulders and in your soul.

I mean, subconsciously, in SA you have to have eyes at the back of your head and everywhere to make sure you don't fall victim of all sorts of crime, you have to think about every word you say or write at work just in case  you offend someone else who also lives on the edge for some reason, you worry about the state of service at our private hospitals (let alone state hospitals) and you get concerned about what wil happen 20 years from now when you get sick, and I can carry on with this....I don't want to go to negative town and I will continue to have hope in a better SA...but only once you've experienced a life where you do business with goverment agencies and you walk out completely un stressed, until you live in a house with no fence, until you go for a jog at 8pm and you don't have to look over your shoulder, until you've worked at a company and you can only focus on your job, not the politics as well, until you can drive somewhere and you realise that you mostly only have to focus on your own driving and you don't have to think and anticipate for the other road users as well...and I can go on...only then you realise how toxic living in SA became. Again, I don't want to trash life in SA because if you look for the positives, you will still find it here.

You don't have to justify chasing after a better future for you and your husband. Yes we do it for the kids, but I also know that I will be a better, less stressed, living, breathing person in a country that have more pros than cons.

One thing I can say though is that you have to make sure that when you decide to leave, leave because of lots of pull reasons on that side, and don't focus on the push factors from here. If you flee SA, you might find yourself unhappy on that side too. If you chase new opportunities and an awesome free lifestyle, you will thrive.

All the best your decisions - you're in company who is going or went through the same mind struggles.

(Lived in Brisbane for 3.5 years, moved back to SA and permanently leaving for Brisbane in September)

Edited by Dora
  • Like 1

There are people that have made the move without kids. Yes that was our main motivating factor for getting out of SA, a better life for our son with more opportunities. But now that we are here we realise we should have moved over sooner. The statistics are stacked against you in South Africa regardless whether you have kids or not. If only I knew then what I knew now, my son would have been born here ?

I agree with all who have posted. We are doing this move partly for our kids but also for ourselves. By the way we are also in early 40's with my husband in Engineering and me in IT but we have 2 kids (12 & 9).

Good luck with you application. Are you guys applying on your or your husbands qualification?

I moved for myself. I don't think that you need to justify the reasons why you want to move. If people insist in asking then tell them its a personal decision and its your life. Personally I think people who can move but don't are not so bright. 

My wife and I are moving with no kids.... I find it so interesting that one needs to justify your move all the time. I Just want to live somewhere else.... mainly because I can.

• Like 3

On 2016/05/30 at 10:23 AM, JackoFam said:

....Good luck with you application. Are you guys applying on your or your husbands qualification?

@JackoFam

We havent quite decided yet :) 

We can apply on his or on mine. 

Was thinking that it might depend on who passes the IELTS exam the highest....

• Like 1

Quick update:

So due to some unforeseen circumstances we were only able to apply for our certificates this past weekend.

We went to the Centurion center bright and early and apart for the wait for the center to open we went through it all without any issues. 

Applied for:

2 x unabridged birth certificates

1 x unabridged marriage certificate

and 1 new passport.  :)

Only tip I can give to anyone else going through these steps are:

Make sure you have all the following info:

1.  Both parent's id numbers and place of birth

2.  If possible the info of the person who married you, reg number, full name.

3.  Cash.  Yes you can do credit card transactions, but they do a separate transaction for each item you applied for.  This would have meant 4 different transactions.  And you wont risk the odd off-line day. 

Costs at June 2016:

Certificates were R75 each.

Passport R400 - Maxi passport R600

And although the center only opens at 08:30 I would highly recommend to be in the line at 7:30 latest.