Why I love my city

DXB2OZ

Most of the newbies have one very big question - where in the heck are we going to live. And while jobs and existing friends/family are massive driving forces, I thought it might be nice if everyone hopped and listed some of the things they love about their new home town, either current or previous.

I live in Melbourne.

I love the weather, because it gives me a chance to indulge what is rapidly becoming a passion for hats, scarves and gloves and because I really don't look very good in a bikini (the last time I wore a swimming costume, kids started throwing water on me because they thought I'd beached myself ?).

I love the kooky alleyways in the city, with coffee shops spilling out onto the pavement, regardless of the temperature.

I love the trams and the fact that city Centre trams are free.

And finally I adore South Melbourne market and the weird international shop that sells cream soda for less than I pay for ordinary coke!!

Who is next?

• Like 12

I live in Sydney.

I love the rich multiculturalism that is at the heart of the City - the people, sights, sounds and tastes.

A walk down Liverpool St. towards Darling Harbour will take you through Asia and Back and you can dine out at many of them for under $10.

I love that the State Galleries are both FREE (permanent collections) and in beautiful locations like The Domain or overlooking The Sydney Opera House.

I love the amazing public spaces. I love that they are priority, considered by the Mayor as infrastructure, not an afterthought. From the historic parks like Hyde Park & The Royal Botanical Gardens in the CBD to Centennial & Moore Park. Revamped and reclaimed spaces like Sydney & Chelsea Park and new pocket parks like Wulaba, Mary O'Brien Reserve & The Rope Walk in Green Square and the many Aquatic Centers like Prince Alfred.

I love the celebrations and festivities, from Chinese New Year to the heralded Sydney New Years Fireworks and annual events like the Sydney Festival and looming VIVID Festival of lights.

I love our local libraries. I've taken out over 100 items in the past year, from DVD's to Toys and they've bought several books for me on inquiry. That my kids and I can enjoy weekly FREE craft and story-time classes as well as the newly formed LEGO club.

I love that we don't have to rely on a car, that we can use public transport with buses that pass by our home every 10-minutes in peak times and that we are walking distance to train 2 stations.

I love the cycleways. I love that I can zip around the City and surrounds, down tree lined streets and through public parks and feel the wind in my hair, that I can enjoy it with fellow riders and my kids as we zip down for a weekend coffee at The Grounds of Alexandria.

I love the beaches, from the Iconic Bondi to our favourite local Redleaf and the Eastern Suburbs spots like Nielsen Park, Watson's & Parsley Bay.

I love our Church, who celebrate their 1st Birthday this weekend, that it's reflective more and more of the community that surrounds it, that anyone is welcome and that we've made many new and wonderful friends in a short space of time.

I love our Suburb, Waterloo. I love that we are walking distance from 2 Coles, an Aldi and a Woolworths. That we are close to Danks Street with its cute dining hot spots, pocket parks and are zoned for some beautiful and brilliant schools. That we continue to meet new and interesting people daily and watching the community grow.

• Like 8

I can echo the above on Sydney. I love the vibe, the arts & culture scene, the endless pubs & restaurants, the many free events, the festivals, shows, markets.... There is always something going on and it is forever changing!  Lights festival, film festival, comedy festival.... So much to do!  LOVE it!

• Like 5

I live in Outer Eastern Melbourne, around 35km from the city so what I love about where I live is not really city like.  I love the birdlife, every evening I sit on my balcony and watch the white cockatoos, black cockatoos, galahs, ibis etc. go to their nests for the evening which is across the road from me - they make a huge racket and it's a magnificent display seeing them all flying together.

I love the Yarra River at Warrandyte. We walk by the river, the kids splash in it sometimes, we have a coffee and something sweet at the Bakery and the kids play on the playground, simple but lovely. We also love a drive to the Yarra Valley to visit the Chocolaterie or the Healesville Sanctuary or one of the wineries. We also love going up the mountain to the Dandenong Ranges, walking in the forest or gardens or exploring the little villages.

I also love Eastland which is our local shopping center which has been redone. It's just so amazing, can't believe it's near where I live. I visit the library there, my four year old enjoys the climbing structure and the best ice cream and I love discovering new shops / places like the little chocolate shop where you can have hot chocolate which consists of a ball of chocolate with a marshmallow inside and then you pour the hot chocolate over it and the chocolate melts - so yum. We even have Mr Price!

I love living in the Yarra Ranges where I see horses, cows and sheep every day and kangaroos often. I love how the notice boards often have notices like 'What's wrong with my chook?' or 'I found this echidna what do I do with it?' or 'Do these Alpacas belong to anybody?' or 'There is a sheep in the road, I tried to catch him but he kept running away.' Haha!

I also love love love Melbourne's weather. At the moment I am enjoying the autumn colours and the splendid light around sunset and the wonderful rain and snuggling on the couch watching movies and enjoying hot chocolate or latte because it is cooling down. We have a lovely autumn so far with very mild weather. Summer was awesome with only a few 40 degree days which is really the only time I don't like the weather - when it's too hot and windy.

Edited by Sibella
  • Like 9

Thanks for this wonderful thread - it will be useful to all of us still to make the move. Please keep the posts coming!

• Like 1

I live in Melbourne.

I love how I walk my daughter to school in the morning and smell the sweet air and listen to birds chirp happily. I love how when I pick her up from school  we walk across a characteristic bridge and enter a bike trail/park/reserve with walkways and ponds and beautiful ducks, and swamphens. I love how when we walk the other way we pass through a park/reserve where the kids happily play and I too sometimes swing away the afternoon lazily or lie on the park hammock relaxing while my kids play their hearts out.

I love how our neighbours have welcomed us, and watching hot air balloons pass our home on good weather days.

I love not being scared when I leave windows open and how well I sleep at night! :P

I love how people who live in Sydney make me want to visit Sydney so very soon. We are all so very lucky to be in this beautiful country. I hope we can help preserve it and keep it as special as it feels to us all now.

• Like 8

We lived in Brisbane and will again soon.

What I love most about Brisbane is that it is a big city with a small town feel. I love that I can drive past acreages with horses in the suburbs and the next moment you are at the nearest Westfield mall.

We lived in the Bayside area with a long Esplanade for walking, jogging or cycling and our family used to go there over the weekend for walks and the kids could play at any of the many play parks along the esplanade. We loved getting fish and chips at one of the local restaurants and watch the yaghts and tinny's sail in and out of the marina.

But I also love that the river was a short drive from the bayside where there is beautifull houses and parks.

I loved the malls, the libraries that is proper libraries, the parks, the public transport options and most of all our church. We went to Citipointe and going there was the highlight of my week - I loved how even old people could rock it at a worship service.

I loved that I could put put my little girl in a stroller and walk to our local Woolies to grab a few things.

I loved the weather and even the himidity was not so bad. I loved that it could rain for two weeks straight and I loved when the floods came in 2011 people from everywhere came to help their fellow citizens in cleaning their homes and businesses so that people could go back to normal asap. I also loved how quick the City of Brisbane cleaned up the parks, roads, offices, restaurants after the floods.

I loved how my son was in a culturally diverse school and everybody got along just fine.

I loved how relaxed I felt when I lived there and how easy it was to adapt to life in Brisbane.

Can't wait to touch down in September.

Edited by Dora
  • Like 6

Hobart, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

I love the city perks combined with the small town feel. I walk or cycle everywhere, I don't own a car. On the rare occasions that I need to get further than cycling distance the public transport is more than acceptable. Or the friendly locals have been kind enough to insist on driving me around. An early morning jog takes me into the bush in about 20 minutes.

Choosing a place to live in Hobart is tricky - it's really hard to find a place without stunning views of the Derwent estuary, whichever side of the river you choose to live. There are so many beautiful heritage buildings that I'm starting to take them for granted. I love that Hobart is so pretty - do yourself a favour and google a few pics. I love seeing all the yachts out on the Derwent on weekends, including the occasional 'tall ship'.

I love the Salamanca and Farm Gate markets, and that Tasmanians are so proud of the quality produce they produce (see what I did there?). Tasmania has a deservedly excellent reputation for food, beer and wine, I love discovering new places to eat and drink; whether it be burgers or gourmet fusion. Tie that all in with some quality live music for an thoroughly enjoyable evening.

Hobart has everything I never knew I needed, from geek-meets to indoor soccer, from craft beer to bush-walking. All within (safe) walking distance.

Oh yes, and then there's MONA, and the Dark Mofo festival, and Bruny Island, and Port Arthur, and Richmond, and Mount Wellington, and the Huon Valley, and, and, and...

(Did I mention I only arrived in January?)

• Like 7

@Sibella basically said everything that I love about the far east of Melbourne. It's just so naturally beautiful with the tall eucalyptus forests all around, and it's safe to walk in them, google even has the walking trails marked. And then when you are in 'the main road' through Belgrave it looks just like Melville in Johannesburg used to look like 20 years ago (I have @GenDemo's word on this, he grew up in Auckland Park, just behind RAU). Then if you need to go into  the Melbourne CBD you can easily get on the train any time of day, including peak hour, because Belgrave is on the end of the line, so the train is always empty at our station.

I love that there are still independent traders, there is a little bakery, that bakes fresh bread and all kinds of sweet baked delights and delicious pies! And next to them is a butcher, with all the different kinds and cuts of meat. There are coffee shops that only sell coffee, and the odd sweet bite. There is a little picture framing studio. People still manage to make a living based on learning and practicing a particular skill and servicing the community. I LOVE it!

And for my view on the weather, go read this "Singing in the rain".

• Like 6

In love with Melbourne :wub:

Still need to uncover more of it, but this is a summary of a few of my favourite things:

Hampton - where we currently rent . I love that I can walk to the station, beach and shops - THE most convenient location and it's only 27 minutes train commute into the CBD on a great line

Bayside in general - lovely trails along the beach front, catering for runners, walkers, cyclists alike. The moods of Phillip Bay - some days the sea is tranquil and still as glass, others it's a grey whipped up frenzy, with gleeful kite surfers leaping meters into the air. Privileged to catch amazing sunsets over the yacht club.

Prahran and South Melbourne Markets - mouth watering food...............

My Mon-Fri walk from to and from Flinders to along St Kilda Road - seeing hot air balloons hovering over the MCG as I cross the Yarra, the beautiful Botanical Gardens, the War Memorial, the Art Centre and Gallery - impromptu concerts, from live rock band CD launches to piped music of whatever is on at the Hamer Hall at the time, buskers ranging from a dubstep didgeridoo player to classical violinist, seeing the sunset over the Yarra in the evenings.....

The CBD - something new to discover each visit - stunning neo-gothic buildings reflected in the glass and steel of modern architecture, cafes, amazing artistic graffiti, a feeling of a city that never sleeps,

Melbourne Museum complex - interesting, moving and innovative displays. (Family membership is worth it) Parks everywhere. 

Magpies - I just love their musical warble ( yes, I know they can be pesky and protective and swoop )

Dandenongs - just stunning - my new "Franshoek" weekend favourite place to get away to

Macedon Ranges - also beautiful, especially now in their Autumn finery

Abbotsford Convent & Capital City Trail along the Yarra

I personally like the weather, so far - haven't done a full winter yet, having arrived late winter last year, but so far, so good - I would rather be cold than hot and humid anyday

And overall -  feeling safe, welcome and at peace.

• Like 5

Well now....19 years and counting... Melbourne is great!

We started our life in Australia in Brisbane... and I loved that too.... however, coming from Transvaal, we found the humidity a bit much and that encouraged our move to Melbourne.

We first lived in Bundoora in the North East and then moved to Sunbury in the North West.

Sunbury is a suburb of Melbourne on the outskirts in the North West. What are the best things about where I live? :

• You would be forgiven if you think we live in "deep country ", it sometimes does feel like that
  • I looooove the quietness, no traffic noise
  • I love the peacefulness that surrounds you
  • I love the starry skies, which in the city does not seem so clear
  • I love the bird life
  • I love the white cockatoos that fly over screeching their little hearts out, could deafen you
  • We live in a court, I love the way the children play in the street, with no concern for heir safety
  • I love the way everyone greet each other with a wave when you drive past
  • I love to see the freedom of woman walking their kids and babies in prams
  • I love to see the kids playing in the parks as I drive by
  • Although I love trees, we do not live in a treed area and I am happy with the fact that we will probably never have to suffer through a fire situation
  • I love that all the shops, to cover our daily needs, is in town....where parking is still free
  • I love that we are only 50mins by train to city, if we should need to go there...
  • Guess what.....I love Sunbury......
  • Like 7

Perth, Adeleide, Alice Springs....... Where are you? I have travelled so little across this enormous island, I would love to hear more about some of the other cities.

In two weeks time we will celebrate six months in lovely Adelaide....what a wonderful time we have had this far!

These are a few of my favourite things:

- The 20 minute city, although at times it takes a bit longer to get across the city.

-Walks along Glenelg beach and putting my toes in the water.

-Walks along Henley Beach too

-Rundle Mall.....loads of shopping

- Harbour Town..... more shopping!

-The many play parks for my son to enjoy

- Cycle tracks

- Bike and skate parks... Lots of ramps and " bowls" to enjoy

- Free workout gym equipment at some of the play parks

-Chinatown.... Yummy dumplings

-Adelaide Central Market...a foodie's dream!

-A drive through the Adelaide Hills

-Hahndorf 

-A bus stop about 250 meters from our front door

-Busses mostly on time

-Tram to the beach

- Free tram in the city...not too sure where it is though ( the route is a lot shorter than the Melbourne free city tram route)

- Old Colls rugby club- where my son plays rugby- such a special bunch of people!

- A short stroll to Woollies, Coles and Target from our house

-Smaller and quieter than most cities

-Comparatively low crime stats

- Cleaniness of the city

I think that's about it for now....still have more exploring to do!

We are going wine tasting in the Adelaide Hills wineries to celebrate our 6 month "Adeversary"

• Like 4

I live in one of Melbourne's north-eastern suburbs

I love that we have Plenty Gorge park right at the end of our road and that we can access it for walks, cycling, etc

I love that we often have kangaroos outside on our grass our surprising the kids in the park

I love that my kids spend hours in the park.  I love that there's an abundance of parks in every suburb

I love that my kids can jump on their bikes and just go have fun

I love the CBD - every time we go into the city there's lots to explore and do (often for free).

I love Melbourne zoo, the aquarium, the art gallery, fed square, Queen Vic summer and winter market, Friday night fireworks during winter, etc

I love that on our 10 minute commute to school we see kangaroo's, horses, cows, goats, llama's and not to mention all the beautiful birds

I love the public transports system including the tram network and the free trams in the city

I love our local library and the fact that we can each borrow 45 items at a time! (I've had to limit my 3 kids to 20 items at a time!!)

I love the freedom of going for my daily walk

I love that we can drive for 40 minutes and be in the beautiful Yarra Valley with wine farms, Healesville sanctuary and the Chocolaterie

I love the beaches

I love all the different cultures and all the different types of food we've tasted since moving here

I love taking the train to an event and being swept up in the atmosphere

I love the awesome camping spots especially Wilson's Prom

I love the fact that we've been living in Melbourne for almost two years and still have such a lot to see and do!

• Like 3

I enjoy getting visitors to Melbourne because they remind me of the little pleasures that, after 13 years, I've kind of started to take for granted. 

Things like freedom to move around, public transport, public libraries, safety and community mindedness, that we have beautiful nature and and peace just 11 kms from the city along with the conveniences of living in a big city, great neighbours, good coffee :D, galahs and rainbow lorikeets, great parks and shopping centres right on our doorstop - I could go on but I think my absolute favourite things about Melbourne have to be daylight savings so that it's still light at 9.30 on a warm summers evening so all of summer feels like a mini holiday and the Christmas lights at the Boulevard in Ivanhoe and I encourage anyone who hasn't been to treat yourself - it never gets old. 

• Like 2

So many wonderful things to love about Melbourne.

I love the fact that I walk my son to kinder and at this time of year the air is really crisp and clean. I love putting on our thick coats and hats and using our umbrella when it rains. We have to walk through a little reserve and we see cormorants, black swans and herons. It is so tranquil. You see plenty of people jogging or riding their bikes.

I love the Werribee zoo and park which is just 10 mins away.

I love the fact that you can take public transport anywhere and within the city you have the free tram zone. I love all the little alleyways that you can explore in the CBD. Love the noodle houses in Chinatown, there's a fantastic Chinese restaurant that's Michelin starred which is always busy...I cannot pronounce the name now but its fantastic and reasonable. So many restaurants to explore.

I also love the fact that my guard is down here. I don't see people of colour and automatically judge them. They are just people going about their lives same as us. I hate the fact that SA turned me into a person I am not. So many people from all walks of life living together. It really is amazing.

The Dandenongs are so beautiful, the red and golden hues of the leaves are amazing at this time of year. Olinda has so many quaint little shops, Gepettos toy shop, Miss Marples tea shop. You can spend hours just exploring.

Love Melbourne ?

Having lived in Melbourne for 6 years and now Brisbane, I would give my shout out on both cities:

Melbourne:

- love the feel of cool air on my cheeks while the rest of me is rugged up

- love the fact that you can have too many pairs of boots or jeans

- love going to the theatre, whether you want to watch opera, comedy, musicals, plays, ballet - there is always something on

- all the good concerts go to Melbourne and you don't have to go far to see them

- love, love, love the food - love that you can have a great meal without it costing a bomb

- love discovering new places down the laneways - go off the beaten track and you will be amazed what you find down a dingy laneway

- love the insulation in the houses, and that if you have ducted heating/cooling you are always comfortable inside - no matter how bad the weather is outside

- love that people go out even if the weather is bad - I remember going to watch a play in a park once, notwithstanding that it was raining (OK, I did get that one wrong it was raining so hard they had to cancel - but if it had just been a light drizzle I'm sure it would have gone ahead).

- love Bright in autumn

- loved doing yoga in a warm yoga studio and then having to rug up before venturing outdoors back to my car wearing Uggs

- love that my children settled so well into Melbourne

Brisbane:

- love cycling in this city, love the number of cyclepaths and that roads are clearly demarcated for cyclists - I was too terrified to cycle in Melbourne

- love that you can do yoga in the park

- love the fresh food markets (we go to Rocklea market) - it beats Melbourne markets hands down - just can't understand why it doesn't translate into many many amazing restaurants

- love that when you go to the beach you don't have to put on a wetsuit to go for a swim

- love that you can go for a swim all year around and no one thinks you are out of your tree

- love that in winter you can still wear a t-shirt and a light jumper and you will be alright

- love the many islands off the coast of Brisbane, where you can get away from it all - and if you are on the wild side of the island there is no mobile reception - which means that you can have a good old fashioned holiday

- love the fresh fish - love that I can go to a fishmarket and buy something other than salmon, snapper and prawns - love that I never have to buy fish at Woolies or Coles

- love the parks and that you can lie on a blanket and not worry that you could be rained on in the next 10 minutes

- love that Brisbanites are slowly becoming more discerning with their food and that you can find a good restaurant if you look carefully enough

- love that when I went to watch my son play Rugby on the weekend, I could sit on my chair and laze in the warm sunlight, and everyone now and again we could hear a parent shout "hardloop" to their boy

- love that people can sometimes spell my very South African surname

- love that my children are happy in their friendship groups even though they had to do it all over again after doing it in Melbourne

So you can see some definite themes coming through between the two cities. 

Bottom line, love the place you live, life is too short to obsess on the things you cannot change.

• Like 1