Anyone on here every had to leave a child behind in SA?

WayneACT

As the topic suggests. Has anyone had to leave a child behind for whatever reason when emigrating? The most likely scenario would be through a divorce with one parent not allowing the child to leave SA.

I am having to do this if our family is to emigrate but I am struggling to come to terms with it. My son who is staying behind with his Mom will be placed onto our 457 visa so he can come and go as he pleases. Another question is, if once PR is acquired, can the child left behind in SA fall under the PR even if he is still in SA?

My decision to go ahead with the move was to make a better life for my family as well as "open the door" for my son at a later stage. As the move draws nearer, so the pain of leaving him behind intensifies. I realise this is not a psychology forum, but wondered if anyone else might have been faced with this dilemma and how they dealt with it.

• Like 1

Hi WayneACT

Just to say that there are potential options to include your son on a PR visa further down the line (assuming they still meet the definition of dependent at that time). 

• Like 1

How old is your son Wayne? 

Like Tee said, there are options for PR but you need to show dependence.  Our son was over 18 and not living with us at the time we included him in our PR application but because he was studying and we could prove that we were paying his fees, rent, health insurance and an allowance, he got PR under our application.  So, whatever your arrangement is towards your son's living costs & expenses, keep a record and proof of it and make sure you can prove dependence. Once they go out on their own and live independently, you'll have a hard time including them. 

Good luck, it's a tough spot to be in and I can't imagine leaving one of my kids behind - it would devastate me! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. He is almost 13. Yes I pay for pretty much everything as far as he is concerned so it wouldn't be a problem proving dependence. 

1 hour ago, WayneACT said:

Thanks for the replies. He is almost 13. Yes I pay for pretty much everything as far as he is concerned so it wouldn't be a problem proving dependence. 

Keep a record of everything!  Medical expenses, clothing, school fees, everything.  (Including the receipts - not just a spreadsheet)

• Like 2