Accommodation in July

Rocky

Hi all

It seems like I will be coming over <_< in July and I would like to visit the following cities: Adelaide, Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney and Perth. I need help/advise on the following:

1) I need budget accommodation - I will most probably be out most of the day and basically will need a bed and a bathroom (I'm not to keen on hostels :lol: although I suppose they are cheaper)

2) Best way to travel in city - car rental/public transport - costs, etc. :P

3) Best way to travel between cities - Will it be the best to fly, or is it possible to drive from one to another? I'm thinking if you can drive I will be able to see more of the country, although it will take more time. Then, I will also be traveling alone, how safe will it be to drive between the cities. I also see trains, any suggestions of what can be best.

I will not have a lot of time :( and would like to see as much of the country as possible in a limited time.

It is exciting :) and scary :o at the same time as I don't know what to expect. Through the forum I have already learned a lot, but I suppose you will never be prepared. Well, I'll hope for the best and I am sure things will be allright.

Can't wait to come, really :D

Greetings

Rocky

PS: How safe is it for a woman to travel alone all over?

Hi Rocky

No problem for you to travel on your own as a woman, many do it here! I think that as a SA you have enough common sense to keep yourself safe and you will not be exposed to the relentless non-safety issue that you have in SA.

Travel between cities, if you had plenty of time, by car could be good. You say, however, that your time is limited, so I suggest you fly. Go to

http://travel.webjet.com.au/webjettsa/home...tryPoint=Flight

you can book for flights between cities, and you will find the best deals here.

If you are travelling alone in the cities, public transport would probably be the best, as in a hire car you would need to stop all the time to map read, could be a daunting task. It would then probably be better for you to be based in the city, although you do not say what it is that you actually want to do.

In Melbourne, you would be welcome to stay with us, we have a guest suite that you are welcome to use. There is a bus at the end of our street that takes you to the station in about 15mins and then it is about 35mins by train to the city. We live on the north west fringe of Melbourne.

Here are another two sites that you can check for accommodation, however, you can only book two weeks (I think) ahead, but it will be the best price you can get usually.

http://www.needitnow.com.au/needitnow/needitnow.asp

http://www.wotif.com/

You can either PM me or email me if you are interested in staying with us.

Hi Rocky

You can travel by train from city to city quite safely. What I like about training it, you get to see country side that even motorist never get to see. If time is a problem then maybe fly part of the way. Sydney to brisbane is beautiful. www.countrylink.info/timetables. Your welcome to contact us if you need a place to stay etc in Sydney. How long are you spending in each city?

Hi Mara and Chester

Thanks a lot for your replies and kind offers. I will PM you once I have a clearer idea of the time, dates, etc. I will check out the sites in the meantime.

Greetings

Rocky

Hi Rocky

Here are some suggestions that you can consider when planning your trip:

- Quite safe for a girl to travel around by herself in Australia-always adviseable to adopt a common sense approach to safety when travelling though(anywhere in the world).Be aware.

- Travel from Perth to eastern states adviseable by air

- Travel between cities in the eastern states could be by air or rail (compare prices and timelines).

- Single (one way tickets) between cities are reasonably priced on a budget airline like Jetstar and you can sometimes get cheap deals on the other airlines(Qantas and Virgin Blue) when you fly on the early morning flights.Either use the Australian Flight Centre website or the specific airline sites to check out the prices and specials.

- A new rail travel service has just been introduced between Melbourne and Adelaide and apparently that is quite nice.

- You would probably need a car to travel around the suburbs to get a feel for life in the suburbs.

- Motels are a very popular form of budget accommodation in Australia (similar to say Formula One in RSA).Probably available in some cities at the bottom end of the range for $60 per night.

Hope above info of some help.

email if you need anything while in Adelaide.

Hi Manny

Thanks for the reply. This is very helpful. Do you perhaps know what the website of the new rail service between Adelaide and Melbourne are so that I can check that out as well.

Will be in touch once my arrangements are finalised.

Greetings

Rocky

The rail service between Adelaide and Melbourne (750 kms) is called the "Overlander".

Recently the papers have been advertising a return train fare for $99, day-time travel, which is a great deal if you don't like flying and want to see a bit of the countryside on the way.

What dates are you in Adelaide?

Hi Bob

Still busy finalising, but it looks like we(?) will be landing the 7th. It seems that my sister-in-law might be joining me. I really hope she will be able to come along. Will be leaving the 13th again for other cities, but still busy finalising.

Thanks Peter. I'll check out the formule 1's.

Keep thumbs crossed that my sister-in-law will be able to join me. It would be much nicer to have somebody to share the experience.

Greetings

Rocky

Hi Rocky

Go to www.railaustralia.com.au for the "Overland" train service between Adelaide and Melbourne. Or "Google" "trains from Melbourne to Adelaide". A number of entry points will get you to the same linked websites.

You will be able to get timetables,fares and bookings from the above and linked websites.There is even an "Overland" homepage.

Good idea if you travel with a "buddy".

regards

Manny Tavares

Hi Manny

Thanks. I'll check the links, but it seems I won't have that much time, so I think I'll have to fly.

Regards

Rocky

Hi Rocky

If you're travelling alone, an option is to make use of the youth hostels. Food can become expensive and most of the YHA hostels has breakfast included. Website address for Oz: www.yha.com.au

They also have travel info in their offices.

For Sydney daypass you can do the Daytripper; $15..40 and you can make use of Ferries, trains, busses for the day. Real moneysaver. www.cityrail.com.au

For travelling from Sydney to Canberra: www.countrylink.com.au

They also have specials on for bustrips from Sydney to Canberra with Murrays Bus Services at times.

Hope this helps.

Madelein