Proving English Proficiency for Spouse

HJL

Question

This is my very first post to the forum although I have been following it for the past year and gleaned so much helpful information from it. Thank you to all the contributors! I am the main applicant for a 189 visa and am in the early stages. I've completed the academic IELTS myself and am about to send off my qualifications to AILTS to get that accredited.( I am a teacher).My question is whether it is sufficient for my husband to get a letter from his high school and university stating he studied in English to prove his proficiency? He obviously did Afrikaans as a second language but was at an English medium school. Will this still be acceptable? He also had one French module at university. Wondering if he should just sit the General IELTS or if the letters will suffice? Anyone who got the visas granted with the letters in a similar boat? Thanks in advance!

13 answers to this question

I am busy compiling all the documents now and realised that i haven't got anything to prove that i have functional English!!

Happy to see that a letter from my high school will suffice :) 

Are there any other documents required by a partner/spouse or de facto other than to prove functional English?

Hello HJL

i am at the same point in the process and my agent asked for exactly what you have mentioned for my spouse. We just got a copy of his transcript and a letter from the university to say his tuition medium was English.

All the best!

Thanks @MichKen. He wasn't keen on writing the test, so he'll be relieved. Sure we will chat again in the future if we are on a similar time frame. All the best to you too!

• Like 1

Yip I requested a letter from my high school stating all instructions we given in English and that I was there for five years. We received our visas no problem. This is listed as acceptable proof of functional English here: https://www.border.gov.au/about/corporate/information/faqs/how-can-i-prove-i-have-functional-english

I asked for the letter to be on the school's letterhead and the principle signed and dated this for me.

• Like 1

Hi @Deezo. Seen as I'm doing the application on my own without an agent, my advice is just what I've either read on the forum or on the Aus visa website. But it appears that letter is all that you need. We will just use the letter and I guess if they want more they will inform us.

All the best!

HJL

Thanks @HJL

The forum has been amazing and many people have noted that a letter from your High School to prove the Functional English will be adequate ;)

Just need to get hold of them now and ensure they type everything correctly!

All the best :) 

Morning :) 

Quick question!

I received the letter from my high school and it states my full names, ID number and that i was a pupil of the school for 5 years.

It also says i was taught through the medium of English.

Does that seem fine?

Do you think they would require my passport number or is the ID number fine?

Thanks so much

Hi @Deezo, for my wife. It just stated her DOB, the years attended and that the medium was English.

We didn't have a problem. Hope that helps.

Cheers

• Like 1

Ah excellent news @Yuvi:)

Appreciate the feedback!!

PS. How is life in Sydney?

1 minute ago, Deezo said:

Ah excellent news @Yuvi:)

Appreciate the feedback!!

PS. How is life in Sydney?

Pleasure.

Ya its good, loving it more day by day. Just waiting for the weather to be a bit more consistent but all in all its been great thus far.

Great stuff!

I guess it is still fairly new so it will take a while to adjust :)

We also going to Sydney so maybe we will bump into each other once we there ;)

All the best with settling in!

Yes, we should once you are here.

Thanks and good luck on the application.

• Like 1