Self Catering / Serviced apartments St Ives NSW

Dugong

We are planing a 3-4 week trip in July/August and are looking for self catering /serviced apartments in and very close to St Ives. So far the prices seem to be like wow expensive! 

Family consists of 2 adults, 1 teenager and two younger children so probably a 3 bed. 

Any ideas? 

Edited by Lion King

The Waldorf apartment group has one in Wahroonga, up the road from St Ives.  Check the site for prices.  I would personally check for places on Airbnb.com

http://waldorf.com.au/

I would try airbnb or realestate.com.au has holiday rentals.  

But really,  your question is a bit like an Aussie asking,  "mate,  I want to rent a cheap,  self catering place for my family in the Sandton suburbs".

You would have more luck in a tourist area or near a business park.  

• Like 3

i think its legit....i live in Sandton and know the nicer spots.....why so snarky? 

I guess because St Ives is not a cheap place: The comment by Lion King was " So far the prices seem to be like wow expensive! "

I thought it was quite a good analogy that Monsta offered, not snarky at all, just reality. 

Let's be honest, in a tourist area you would probably find far better priced accommodation.

• Like 1

St Ives is not cheap, indeed it's "wow" expensive, and it will seem even more so coming from SA. I know as it happened to us - there will be a lot a "wow" expensive moments when you visit, starting with your first cup of coffee, so be prepared. 

The analogy to Sandton is not quite accurate (used to live in Sandton too), but at least there you could find reasonably priced serviced apartments, because don't forget that Sandton is very much a CBD in itself (and of course nothing in SA is as expensive as in Australia). St Ives is more comparable to a case of "cheap accommodation in the heart of Sandhurst, between the R20+ million mansions....", it's not the equivalent of Sandhurst by any means, but the prices certainly are.

Airbnb would be the way to go, and I would suggest a place that is on a train line (like Wahroonga was suggested above), unless you are renting a car. From St Ives you will need to take a bus to the nearest train station which will add to your travel cost. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the responses. Guess it will take some time to calibrate the cost of things :) 

We found accommodation at TFE group which is not Sandhurst pricing and will be ok for a short term stay :) 

Yes we will be renting a little car so that we can experience the full drive around etc

Really looking fwd to arrive in Sydney - come on July!!!

I am sure you will love it. If you can, take a few trips around to see all sides of Sydney. 

As everyone has explained, going down South to "the shire"  (called Cronulla on the map) or out west to Blacktown  or up to "the hills"  like Baulkham Hills  will introduce you to a few different sides of Sydney.

I suggest that because Sydney is a lot of old money. I have a mate who bought two houses, one for $250 000 and one for $300 000. They are both worth over a million each. He has probably made more in appreciation on the properties, than he has in salary. That's not an unusual story. A good salary is anything over $100 000; with $150 000 being entry level executive pay.  Even on a $150 000 per year salary, you are unlikely to afford a $2.5 million house in St Ives. The wealthiest 10% of Aussies all have significant property portfolios... or these days they convince the bank they have big sources of income back in China. 

All I am saying is I have a mate who is a CA and partner in an accounting firm. He tried to buy after the property boom started in 2014. So he bought out in Blacktown.

It might be worth you guys checking places like Blacktown out... who knows... the first place you buy in Sydney could be out that way.