School transfer requirements ex South Africa schools

Dora

Hi there,

Just a random question, do the schools in Aus require a latest report card for the kids from the school they leave here? If so, if the kids are currently in an Afrikaans school, do they need a translated report from the school? Do they need anything else besides the immunisation record?

TIA

Hi Dora

You need your passport and visa (as the visa determines if the fees are payable or not at state schools); birth cert, 

We did have the school reports, but it wasn't a "must have".

Our kids were in kindy and year1 in Oz and we just had a typical interview, where I was able to discuss any problems or queries etc with the principal pertaining to each child.  The kids also got a buddy for the first week - I.e an older kid to take each kindy kid under their wing; or a class peer to help them settle in.

We went to Sydney.  However, we've moved interstate last year and had the same sort of thing here except that you have to formally exit the one school to update the system that the child is going to school elsewhere :-)

Good luck

J

My daughter's school never asked for any reports. They just had an interview with us,and then we filled in general app. form, and gave copies of our passports and proof of address. - Melbourne, grade 3.

It depends what age your kids are they are. My daughter is in high school, so she had to go through a telephonic interview from SA, and had to submit the most recent school reports, sporting achievements etc.  They did not specifically ask for immunization records, but I provided them anyway. We probably provided too much stuff, and she would've got in just based on her school reports. I guess they basically wanted to see that she's doing well enough academically and that she is sporty and will fit into the culture and spirit of the school. I would think that if your kids' school reports are in Afrikaans, you would have to provide something in English if they are older than primary school.

Thanks for all the feedback. My kids are 8 and 6. We will arrive in Brisbane for the last term - which I think is good, because then the school can assess them and we can start working on areas where they are behind in and they can start to make friends and then when the new year starts, they are hopefully not too strange to all the new surroundings...

Put them in anytime, my girl joined halfway through term 1, and it took a few weeks to find her feet. She is integrated now and very happy. I think it should work well for your kids, they can find their feet and have a break and start next year not being "new"! Good luck :)

• Like 1