Coming to Camp Hill, Brisbane in August 2016

ClaireP

Hello,

My family (married to @riaanpdaddy) and I are moving to Camp Hill, Brisbane in August 2016 from Pretoria, South Africa. He'll be working full time and travelling quite a bit for work. I will not be working initially, as I have two little girls (Ages 5 and 3) and a newborn (he'll be 4 months in August). I'll be on my own quite a bit, and this will be a huge change from receiving support from my parents and friends in South Africa. I've enrolled the girls in a school 3 days a week (quite expensive, so I will need to do homeschool/educational play/paw patrol - whatever I have strength for on the other days! hehe). My queries are the following, and I'd love some guidance for these points, if possible:

1. When is a good time to enrol the eldest child into "year 1" at a state school? Can I do it when we arrive or should I try to reach out to schools now? I know we'll be in Camp Hill, but that's all I know for now.....

2. Are there nice mom and baby groups I could join with my little boy baby on the days the girls go to school?

3. Is there a mommy-preschooler hang-out I could join with my 3yr old?

4. Are there things like swimming lessons, dancing, etc provided by community centre or are these all private activities that we pay for separately? 

I am excited/nervous/slightly scared by the big changes ahead of us, together with keeping the 3rd munchkin well and happy :)

I look forward to responses.

Thanks so much. 

• Like 3

Hi ClaireP, 

Wow, we used to live in Brisbane and we are also on our way back. My husband got a job offer yesterday and we will accept unless they find something dodgy in his backgroynd check ?.

This was quite unexpected and now its crazy with renovations currently in process at our house and now this. The plan is that my husband will start work there in mid July and we will close shop here and join him in the fourth quarter.

We have a 8yo and a 6yo. I won't stress too much about enroling them from here. If you go state schools they are quite strict about going to the school in your catchment area. So if you want to send yoyr girl to Camp Hill SS then you must make sure you rent in the catchment area.  They also used to be quite strict about enrolling the kids with their age group and if they are a little behind ex SA they will rather put some extra time in catching up.  If your eldest is 5 now, she will most likely join the prep year there.

Queensland have a playgroup system which is very good. They have playgroups meeting at various days and times and I think I used to pay like $2 each time we went. A very nice one that I used to go to was at Creek Road Pesbytarian Church, very close to Camp Hill.

Your 3yo will most likely go to Kindy next year, check out C&K Pre-schooling. They are also very good and in almost all the areas.

The playgroup is a very good place to meet moms with babies to todlers.

All the other activities will work itself out.

I think we're on the same rollercoaster right now. We will also try and settle in the same area again (Bayside). We should meet up some time ?. All the best with all that you have to do now.

• Like 2

You can check the following websites:

www.playgroupqueensland.com.au

www.candk.asn.au - this franshise has one off the best programmes for kindy (the year before they go to prep) 

Hi Clare would also check out your local library and community centre, the libraries are fantastic places and have all sorts of activities and groups going on for mums and babies, and children of all ages. With my local library I am spoilt for choice.Also check out any local mums and tots group for your area on facebook. Just put a post up telling people you're new wanting to make friends. We also moved to Melbourne without any family support, but the best thing about Australia is the fact that you can get your kids ready and just take a walk to the park. Australians are generally quite friendly and I often get chatting to other mums there. I have also made friends just by joining the library. At first I felt very overwhelmed as my husband was working long hours and this left me at home with my son all day. I felt very isolated and I got a bit teary a few times. But I just put myself out there and started to really appreciate the freedom I had. I am sure you are going to be absolutely fine. ?

Thanks @emmayenkanna and @Dora, I appreciate it. I will check out the schools once I get there, and I will definitely check out the parks and FB communities so that I can make friends sooner rather than later.

Have a great day!

Hi

Our church (Citipointe) has a support group for South African mothers with children - Mrs. Noah. They meet at least once a month at Rivers in Carindale, Brisbane, very close to Camp Hill.  It is a great place to meet other moms in the same situation.  They will really welcome you and become your "family". You can find them on Facebook or let me know if you are interested then I can get one of the organisers to contact you.

• Like 2