How big is Perth in comparison to South African cities?

CSK

Hi all,

Can someone perhaps give me an indication on how Perth compare with SA cities in terms of size?

Difficult question. Do you mean City of Perth or including suburbs or including metropolitan areas?

http://profile.id.com.au/perth

For example the suburbs stretch 50 km north and more than 50km south. (All the stats are available at the bottom of the page)

http://profile.id.com.au/perth/about?WebID=160

If you draw a circle around Perth what size should the circle be?

A different perspective - if the airport size (although they increased it recently) is representative of the population it needs to serve then I will say Bloemfontein but I may be in trouble here. However in terms of services and quality of services and infrastructure then better than most SA cities. Availability of goods is good but often you may need to source specialized things from other parts of Aus but then again the delivery services are good.

Perhaps better to check out the above 2 links and then ask specific questions.

7 hours ago, ottg said:

If the airport size (although they increased it recently) is representative of the population it needs to serve then I will say Bloemfontein but I may be in trouble here.

Completely overrating Bloem's airport! It's there more for show than anything else! :P

It's difficult to compare any Australian cities to South African ones because the demographic is completely different. The bulk of South African's are located in densely populated townships which Australia doesn't have...

I would have described Perth as being 3-4 times as big as P.E. Or more specifically, as long as P.E.... it's an incredibly narrow and stretched out city...

Depends if you are referring to Greater Perth (including suburbs ) or just the city centre?

The city is pretty small (and uneventful..but that's another topic), If you include the 'burbs, it's big and spread out (WA is enormous, the biggest State in Australia). 

If you put perth into context of south african cities, it is the port elisabeth of australia. Its not joburg or cape town (thats melbourne and aydney), its not durban (brisbane) but the 4th largest. 

Inwould say its size is comparable with cape town, in area not population

But its 'fèel' is that of a provincial city not a.world city. It feels a bit like a town but a huge one

Edited by emilleinoz