Moving to Sydney in June

Sweepea

Hi everybody haven't been on here in a while as I have been super busy with the move. Properties sold and busy selling off stuff I cant take with. As many of you warned, it takes a while but what is amazing is what a 2nd hand market there is out there. My car is being sold to the lady at my work and she is happy to take it next month. Brytons will collect on 6th and 7th June and we will camp in the house for a month. Transfer wouldn't have gone through then. My kind neighbour is lending me loads of stuff. So glad I fed her cat while she was away:).To rent furnished accommodation here is too pricey 20-30k for a month. Accommodation booked on Airbnb in Rockdale for July. We fly on 29th June and land 30 June. Took out TIC travel ins through Flight Centre for 8 days for under R800 for a family. Transferred some funds overseas. Thank God i work for a bank and get staff rates on forex conversion. The volatility of the Rand worries me as it does those of us yet to move. Was supereasy to open account online with CommonWealth Bank. Still lots to do on the checklist but at least the big ticket items are mainly taken care of. Trying to focus on what needs to be done and not think about saying goodbye to my dear sister whom I see every weekend and lives just down the road from my house.

Had my cv professionally done but not impressed with the result and service AUD120 later so having it redone - yep another AUD120 later. Just don't have the time or energy with 2 sick babies and work and planning the move. The person that I will be using has actually set up an interview with me for Thursday for an hour to go through my cv and discuss it with me. Have applied for a couple positions online but would rather wait to get my updated cv. Also need to look into an au pair for my 2 babies and daycare part time.

Hubby needs to sell his car but concerned about taking it to dealer now and they sell it and then it costs a lot to rent a car for a month.

I just want to say a big thank you to everybody on this forum as its all your insights that have helped me tremendously along the way. Your support is invaluable.

Looking at buying extra suitcases but told hubby about PEP bags too. Where did you guys buy luggage? Im really battling to get through to the Handbag & Luggage store whose number is like a fax! hear these guys in Fordsburg have good prices.

ciaio for now

Oh @AFreshStart and anybody else who can refer me to a good financial planner in Sydney as I would like to take out life and disability insurance when we land? Do your companies offer such

cover in general?

• Like 2

PEP bags works like a charm, they weigh almost nothing and you can load them with lots of stuff. I don't care that it looks dodgy. If it means that I can pop something extra in to help during the camping period, so be it. Just wrap them properly at the airport...their surprisingly durable. :D

Hi @Sweepea I've sent you our Financial Planners details in a PM, his specialty is personal risk management and he's handled our death and disability cover.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sweepea said:

Looking at buying extra suitcases but told hubby about PEP bags too. Where did you guys buy luggage? Im really battling to get through to the Handbag & Luggage store whose number is like a fax! hear these guys in Fordsburg have good prices.

Hi @Sweepea, we got a really good deal from luggagewarehouse.co.za on 2 sets of Cellini hardcase luggage. There's newer models coming out so they are selling off old stock

• Like 1

@riaanpdaddyI called them and they are cheaper on the Paklite luggage too compared to what I saw in Joburg. Thanks a lot. If I order online then delivery will be free to Jhb

• Like 1

Excuse my ignorance - but what is a PEP bag? (Is it those large plastic tartan check bags with the zip?)

If it is - how much weight can it hold?

Yes, that's my understanding of PEP bags. I just quickly checked because my sister in law sent me some clothes in one of those in December. I'd say if you fill them with clothes and linen and not hard items, you could easily put about 15kg's in one. But then you have to wrap them properly at the airport.

We bought our luggage at cape union mart. they come in a bag and are very durable. we had 2 of the large ones each. at 15kgs each.

If you need anything when you arrive let me know. even if it is a home cooked meal.  which area are you staying when you land. 

we found a place in Epping, 3 bedrooms, sun room bathroom lounge kitchen, laundry and garage +tool shed for $500 a week. the garden is massive. 

I work in Epping so it is a 1.7 km walk to work. 

• 4 weeks later...

Nice! We also fly on 29th, arriving 30th. I start work on the 4th. Cant wait to get to Sydney. 

Not sure where  to settle yet. My new company gives us 2 weeks accomodation when we arrive, will decide then.my wife will visit for 3 weeks now, and then back to SA for a few weeks. She and kids will join permanently no later than end of September. This gives me some time to research schools ans suburbs. 

Was thinking somewhere towards The Hills, Baulkham Hills... I will be working north sydney, close to opera house.

3 hours ago, Eduan said:

Nice! We also fly on 29th, arriving 30th. I start work on the 4th. Cant wait to get to Sydney. 

Not sure where  to settle yet. My new company gives us 2 weeks accomodation when we arrive, will decide then.my wife will visit for 3 weeks now, and then back to SA for a few weeks. She and kids will join permanently no later than end of September. This gives me some time to research schools ans suburbs. 

Was thinking somewhere towards The Hills, Baulkham Hills... I will be working north sydney, close to opera house.

That's great, you must be excited and safe travels. I also work in the city.

Give me a shout when you settles.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2016 at 5:39 AM, Eduan said:

I will be working north sydney

On 6/14/2016 at 5:39 AM, Eduan said:

I also work in North Sydney, give me a shout if you want to get a coffee. 

Hey Guys,

North Sydney is no where near the opera house :).  Perhaps you mean north CBD?    If you stand at the opera house and look north across the harbour you see Kiribilli House, which is in Kirribilli.

North Sydney is a business district on the North side of the harbour, near St Leonards. Its the crowd that voted in Joe Hokey.

I can see the harbour bridge from my office... so I guess I am "north Sydney CBD" too  :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monsta said:

North Sydney is no where near the opera house :).  

Near is a relative concept. :P hahahaha, but I`m in North Sydney with Joe Hokey`s cronies. 

Here for 4 days now, so i agree Monsta, Opera house is not exactly in North Sydney, but that was the impression from Google Earth... As Tiermelk states, near is a relative concept. But I like the sarcasm. ?

Ha Ha, yes, Green Square is closer to the Opera House than North Sydney! But yes, relative, esp. if your notition is Pretoria is close to JHB :P

Welcome to Sydney Eduan!

Cheers

Matt

So i guess this is my 'vuurdoop', but it is fine guys, i have a thick skin :D

In a years time i will probably also laugh at my own comments.

10 minutes ago, Eduan said:

So i guess this is my 'vuurdoop', but it is fine guys, i have a thick skin 

I`ve found that in Australia things are much further than they appear on google maps. :D