How much does a family of three need a month to live comfortably in Australia?

JanineSparg

Hi there

I am new to this forum. My husband and I have a son aged 9 turning 10 in June. I am a Mathematics and Physical Science teacher and my husband has a Bcom with Honours in Information Systems but has run his own Spar for 13 years. We've decided to 'get our heads out the sand' and start the process of making the move to Oz if we get our visa application approved.

Would anyone be able to give me a rough estimate on the amount needed monthly to live comfortably in Oz? 

Hi Janine,

Welcome to the forum. Here's a budget by Mara and by Matt (AfreshStart). Both should give you a good idea of what's needed to live comfortably.

http://www.saaustralia.org/topic/45754-budget/?page=2#comment-425909

http://www.saaustralia.org/topic/45754-budget/

• Like 2

From all my research Id say around $6200 per month for 3, this could depend on age of the third person in your family.

• Like 1

I am just curious to know on what visa you are coming over to Aus? Have you had a chat to an agent yet? Stephen Dickson @SD_MOA or one of the others can give you an overview of where you need to put your energies. I think you will be the main applicant, because your husbands recent experience is not in his studied field. Math and science teachers are always in demand, especially in high schools. My instinct is to say, get the visa in the pipeline first, before you start working out the smaller details. Salary and cost of living depends heavily on where you live, and Aus is huge. And as Mara always says, go where the job is. Good luck on your journey. 

• Like 1

You should understand that businesses will always charge the maximum people can afford. So,  even Australians have debt issues. My church occasionally runs classes on how to get out of debt. 

You can be comfortable cleaning toilets in Aussie. But there will be compromises,  like public schools for your kids,  only the healthcare they really need,  long trips into work,  etc.. 

So,  the kind of question you should ask here is,  "If my family earns $100 000 per year in Sydney,  what kind of compromises would we have to make to live comfortably?" 

• Like 1

Which city? Our Melbourne budget was different from our Sydney budget. Rent being your biggest expense in any city.

Helo Janine,

Feel free to drop me an email if you would likeme to assess your visa options and give you an overview of the process and costs involved.

Regards

• Like 1

Wow, I'm overwhelmed by your guys help! Thank you.

Stephen, we have been in touch with an Andre Joubert in Jhb already. He has asked for our CV's and will be getting back to us on what visa we are likely to be able to apply for.

Ideally, we would like to get a 189 or even a 190. I think I may qualify for a 189 being that I am a high school mathematics and physical science teacher. Only problem is that I stopped teaching when I fell pregnant and have been a full time mommy to my son who is now turning 10...so I last worked 10years ago. I think our other option could be to go in on a business visa but then my husband has to have bought a business within two years of moving to Australia...which would be fine financially but only if he finds one that he wants to buy within two years...more than likely retail since that's where his expertise lies.

Ideally we would love to settle along the Sunshine Coast but that would depend on retail business opportunities....

Thinking Buderim as Matthew Flinders is where we would love to send our son.

Another question for anyone who has pets : what is the cost of a veterinary consultation, just the consult? We have three French Bulldogs that will be coming with us should we get visas. May have to take out pet insurance if vets are really pricey...

What is the quarantine like in Australia...do they look after the pets properly? Did anyone get their pets back in a less than satisfactory condition?

So much to think about and I am really worried that we may not even get a visa...haven't been sleeping ?.

Will keep you updated on our progress.

HI Janine

Don't be shy about "shopping around" for agents. Look at response times too. I can vouch for Stephen Dickson - he is always in touch and on the ball, we got our 189's through him. 

If you look at the news today, things are not looking good. Talk of Gordhans arrest, and S&P saying SA continue to disappoint... the rand is really battling and its only 9am. 

I would suggest hurrying things along and getting money across soonest.  #sorrytryingmybestnottosoundnegative #justwannahelp

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-13/economy-in-south-africa-disappoints-s-p-as-it-weighs-rating

http://businesstech.co.za/news/government/123651/gordhan-arrest-imminent-report/

Edited by Sassyninja
Addition
  • Like 1

Hi Sassyninja 

I agree totally...we need to get a move on!! Things in SA are going one way ?.  Will take your advice about shopping around and contact Stephen this evening at the latest.