3D MoveCube - See how much can fit in a large here

riaanpdaddy

Hi Everyone,

If you are wondering how much stuff will fit into a large Movecube then check out the public Tinkercad I did using Boxman boxes here:

https://tinkercad.com/things/hieBePTWYLM

A couple of things to note:

• The drawing is in millimeters, so just imagine it's all in centimeters:)
  • Here's what's in there: A sleeper couch, kids bunk bed (disassembled), kids desk cube (it's literally a cube consisting of a desk and chairs underneath), a toolbox, stainless steel dust bin (my wife loves it) and we can put stuff inside, water purifier, blender, 16 Boxman Mover 6 boxes, 12 Boxman Mover 1 boxes
  • This did not take into consideration wrapping the stuff (but there seems to be enough space around the edges). We will see.
  • Large MoveCube is 226x146x187

I will update this post when we actually pack the cube.

If we leave the couch, bunk bed and cube then we will have loads of space for boxes. Something to consider.

I did not take into consideration what will be the heaviest, just wanted to see what will fit.

Let me know your thoughts. Is this helpful?

Riaan

• Like 4

We calculated the cost of the cube per cubic cm and then calculated the cost per item volume.

Can't remember the actual figures, but it turns out that bigger items would cost more to ship that they are worth, eg. couches, beds etc.

Also with boxes we set ourselves a rule... If the box costs R50 to ship, then the value of the items inside had to be at least the same or more.

End result, we only took items of high value per volume. So no furniture was shipped as it was cheaper to buy here.

• Like 2

I`m with Jacques on this one - but at the end of the day a shared container worked out much cheaper for us.

• Like 1

I agree with all of you on this one too - but there's some sentimental value too for some of the big items hence the reason for taking those big pieces and selling the rest.

A move cube is 6.17 m3 so if it costs approximately R18k then it works out to about R2900 per m3.

The couch in this model is a sleeper couch and would cost AUD799 to replace at IKEA (R6000 new in SA at Coricraft or R8894 at today's rate) and it is 1.26m3. So using the R2900 rate per cubic meter above and multiplying by 1.26 you get R3654 is what it will cost to ship this couch in the cube. Thus it is still cheaper to ship it than to buy it new in AUS (or we have to find a used couch for about $320.

Smaller high value items makes even more sense, as you've said

• Like 1

• Big box = 50x40x28 = 0.056m3 = will cost R162.40 per box to ship
  • Smaller boxes = 42x33x28.5 = 0.039m3 = will cost R113 per box to ship

Thus make sure the total value of what you pack in these boxes are more than R160 and R113 respectively (compared to replacement cost in Aus minus what you could've sold for it SA)

• Like 1

Also keeping in mind the wait. No point in shipping your fridge from RSA, and filling it with other goods like Tupperware and linen, if you are going to need it as soon as you arrive. Fridges in RSA are actually really cheap.

You will end up buying temporary use stuff over here and have to sell again when your cube arrives.

And somehow getting a rental and your cube delivered on same day is nearly impossible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jacques Voogt said:

Also keeping in mind the wait. No point in shipping your fridge from RSA, and filling it with other goods like Tupperware and linen, if you are going to need it as soon as you arrive. Fridges in RSA are actually really cheap.

You will end up buying temporary use stuff over here and have to sell again when your cube arrives.

And somehow getting a rental and your cube delivered on same day is nearly impossible.

I agree, everything we are planning to take is stuff we can wait for - the rest we will buy when we get there. If you can ship your stuff in advance (which is what we are going to try and do) then it shortens the wait on the other side.

Our appliances are all over 7 years old and they can get damaged in a container, maintenance is expensive and some of the rentals already have appliances in them. These we will just have to get over time.

Best thing to do is realise it is not going to be perfect immediately. Take a long term view and that diminishes to short term "pain"a bit.

Let's get off our SA high chairs, sit on camp chairs for a while with a table we got off the road and play a board game with our doors and windows open looking out into the road where there are no walls:)

• Like 2

We had our cousins from RSA over and we were sitting "plat op ons gat" on the floor and sleeping on blow up camping mattresses.

Also if you are coming over during spring (September) there are lots of bargains at church fetes.

Halve of our furniture was either bought 2nd hand, really cheap or free.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jacques Voogt said:

Halve of our furniture was either bought 2nd hand, really cheap or free.

Yep, I just got a $1500 fridge for free from someone moving overseas and they just can`t be bothered selling it. Only 4 years old and had a few small rust spots on the "stainless steel" finish (still need to figure out how to remove them). 

Check out www.freecycle.org and gumtree.com.au.  You will be amazed at what`s given away for free here. 

Example on freecycle at the moment "Foam sofa bed, faux suede, chocolate colour. Excellent condition. I have moved and don't have room for it." :)  However what you need is not necessarily going to be available when you need it...

• Like 1

Lol, you guys are awesome. I really am doing my utmost best to convince my wife to take as little as possible and see you also struggle with the "is it worth it to lug xyz piece of furniture halfway across the world?" question. I have been looking at yard sales etc where we can get stuff cheap in the beginning. An app that was recently launched seems quite promising. The Curbit app is recently launched but should make it easier to find unwanted items in a area near you. For those of you already in Aus, perhaps it works out well for you?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CyberJoe said:

The Curbit app is recently launched but should make it easier to find unwanted items in a area near you

Oe, that sounds interesting, will check it out

@riaanpdaddy Unfortunately, the app uses geo-location so it does not function well from SA. The app developers are clearly people who do it for environmental sustainability and thus the app development is done a tad slower than what we are accustomed to. I signed up for their newsletter and they are really cool about the whole thing, telling people what they are working on as well as asking for suggestions.

Ps: If you are there in October, sure this would be a lot of fun as well

https://www.garagesaletrail.com.au/

Edited by CyberJoe
  • Like 1

On 09/05/2016 at 1:34 AM, Tiermelk said:

I`m with Jacques on this one - but at the end of the day a shared container worked out much cheaper for us.

Who did you ship through and how long did it take? Stuttafords just told me a shared container will take 4-5 months. PANIC!

2 hours ago, Sassyninja said:

Who did you ship through and how long did it take? Stuttafords just told me a shared container will take 4-5 months. PANIC!

We used Kings International. 

Didn`t take long - they picked up 2/3`s of a container in JHB and brought it down to Cape Town. But when it got to us it was only 1/3 full so I filled it up but only paid for 1/3! :)

There after it took 2 months or so till we received it Sydney. 

With a shared container I would say don`t focus so much on the company you want to use, phone all of them and see who might already have or possibly have a partial container going to the same destination that you are off to. This way you might be able to fill up a container and get it going quicker than waiting for them to get another person for you to share with. 

• Like 1

They fit a couple of those large cubes in a shared container anyways.

One problem we did have was that we did not yet have an exact address in Sydney when we sent the cube.

When we then finally got a rental in Sydney and phoned 7 seas to provide the address, we were told that our cube is still on the docs at Durban and there is now an additional storage fee and the next ship is only in 3 weeks time.

In total it took just short of 5 months.

My advice, even though you need to sign an agreement that says providing an invalid address is illegal, just put something down, even if it is the hotel address where you will be staying the first night so that they actually load it on the ship.

48 minutes ago, Tiermelk said:

We used Kings International. 

Didn`t take long - they picked up 2/3`s of a container in JHB and brought it down to Cape Town. But when it got to us it was only 1/3 full so I filled it up but only paid for 1/3! :)

There after it took 2 months or so till we received it Sydney. 

With a shared container I would say don`t focus so much on the company you want to use, phone all of them and see who might already have or possibly have a partial container going to the same destination that you are off to. This way you might be able to fill up a container and get it going quicker than waiting for them to get another person for you to share with. 

Sounds like you got very lucky. 

I have mailed 3 companies this morning asking about availability in a container to Melbourne. 

We used Bayleys (shared container) and took exactly 6 weeks from pickup to delivery. We only provided an address 2 weeks before delivery but had to specify the city of course. Everyone else would not give a time and said anything from 6 weeks to 6 months. We had the direct number of Brenda Bayley as she quoted us over the Christmas period - and when we asked her this question she said she would get back to us...  she wants to be precise. The storage manager called us 2 days later and said they can confidently say 6 weeks. And it was EXACT. Very impressed with the entire transaction with them.

• Like 1

Excellent - where did you send your container to and from? I will give Bayleys a shout. 

From Pretoria to Melbourne. On this side they use Grace removals? (I think). Was very good service, nice guys.

Ah Bayleys are Joburg based, they dont have offices in Durban.